Thoughts about these feature requests

• 13 November 2020
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just though about 2 feature request, I would forward to my local Veeam account manager. Would be interested in your opinions. Or maybe there is already a practicable workaround.

1. Change transport mode per backup/replication jobs
    This would make it easier to use a more suitable mode for selected VMs. For example it can result in better duration time when a lot of small VMs are backed up by NBD.
  2. Pre-View of selected VMs
    When selecting Folder/Tags/[new in v11]Tag Combination as backup source, it would be very useful to see all VMs that would be included at the press of a button.

What do you think?

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think both requests are useful enhancements.

With the tag combination in V11 a preview which VMs will be selected would be very useful.

I have one more feature request on my mind:

When you exclude disks - no you are ncluding the disk which you want to be backed up - you see the generic SCSI or IDE Numbers. This is with VMs with many VMDKs difficult. A little bit more information about the disks - e.g size oder the VMDK name in this dialog would very helpful - at least to me.

What do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I think both requests are useful enhancements.

With the tag combination in V11 a preview which VMs will be selected would be very useful.

I have one more feature request on my mind:

When you exclude disks - no you are ncluding the disk which you want to be backed up - you see the generic SCSI or IDE Numbers. This is with VMs with many VMDKs difficult. A little bit more information about the disks - e.g size oder the VMDK name in this dialog would very helpful - at least to me.

What do you think?

Fully agree! This would avoid switching GUIs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just though about 2 feature request, I would forward to my local Veeam account manager. Would be interested in your opinions. Or maybe there is already a practicable workaround.

This would make it easier to use a more suitable mode for selected VMs. For example it can result in better duration time when a lot of small VMs are backed up by NBD.

Of course, this would have a default “auto” option, but I think one possible risk here is ending up with a job where there is no way to back it up. Would you then want automatic failover to NBD?

Which transport mode is being used for the small VMs today that is causing issues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Of course, this would have a default “auto” option, but I think one possible risk here is ending up with a job where there is no way to back it up. Would you then want automatic failover to NBD?

Which transport mode is being used for the small VMs today that is causing issues?

Your are right, there should always be a failback to NBD. I have no issue, it is a matter of flexibility.

We have a lot of environment running a physical proxy host. Because of SAN mode performance, this proxy is connected (iSCSI or FC) to storage array. Selecting transport mode on job-level would increase flexibility. For example, for the huge file/db VMs I can select SAN mode. And for a bunch of small VMs, sprayed across all hosts and datastores I can select NBD on the same proxy. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

For option 1: you can set it as “Auto”.

Comment