Question

Tape issues V12

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey everyone,

I posted a while ago that my V12 install is only reading 107gb of my 12tb tapes, I have 29 tapes loaded and 2 drives

I have worked with support on both my Tape drive manufacturer side (Spectra Logic) and I have worked with VEEAM support on this for nearly 3 months and it seems that we have all come to the conclusion fo microsoft not seeing the correct driver.  I use the IBM driver as VEEAM specified and it fails to see the tapes fully, I use the “Microsoft Medium Changer” driver Spectra told me to use and it still fails to see everything - we have done all sorts of troubleshooting (removed the ISCSI checkbox, installed and uninstalled drivers, disabled the device, uninstalled the device, updated VEEAM, updated Windows) and so so much more.  Looking for any other advice on what else to try or where to turn from here?

Windows 2022 (latest updates applied)

VEEAM V12 (Frist update applied, not 12.1)

IBM drivers installed

Windows medium changer driver installed

LTO8 Tapes

Thanks guys

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unsure at the moment what to suggest here as you have worked with support for 3 months.  I don’t suppose you have another tape unit other than a Spectra that you can test with.

This is what we have for the Spectra driver we use, and these are LTO7 tape units as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for that - here is what I am using, and no, I do NOT have another tape library or drive to use

here is what VEEAM is seeing

but spectra shows each tape has 12tb free

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very odd.  Not sure at this point what to suggest.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for trying, I will keep playing with it, maybe it is a windows 2022 issue, who knows

I will post again when I find something out

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for trying, I will keep playing with it, maybe it is a windows 2022 issue, who knows

I will post again when I find something out

It very well could be.  The tape server we have with the Spectra is Win2019 Std so have not tested Win2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Never seen this issue up to now.
But I don't have LTO-8 drives in use. There are some oddities with them.

Do you have an dedicated tape server? Then you could try to install it with Linux and test with this again.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Do you have an dedicated tape server? Then you could try to install it with Linux and test with this again.

so I was thinking about some compatibility issues that may be happening and I was leaning towards it being an issue with server 2022 not liking it, I am installing 2019 right now using Hyper-V and I will install VBR and try adding and detecting things from there and see what happens

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Have you tried another Tape driver? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Since you have tried almost everything, have you ruled out compatibility issue with this v12?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

so I was thinking about some compatibility issues that may be happening and I was leaning towards it being an issue with server 2022 not liking it, I am installing 2019 right now using Hyper-V and I will install VBR and try adding and detecting things from there and see what happens

Your tape server is a VM? This could be an issue….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @clownyboots178 -

I am just following up on your post here and seeing if you have gotten any further answers for your tape drive space issue? Did installing on a lesser OS rectify it? Still working with support? 

Thanks. 

Comment