Surebackup & Surereplica ​​🙃

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Throughout these years, I have been to many talks and events of Veeam, I have given many VMCE courses, and a lot has happened to me on this side in South America, the customers did not use Surebackup or Surereplica, they have told me that they did not know that they could use it, among other answers. And I think it is one of the most important features that Veeam has :hugging: . Has it happened to you? I would like to read them :eyes: … 

17 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge

Many of the trainers have told me that when students are in class, this is one of the things they are not using. Another reason to attend Veeam training :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

For a great architecture overview, check out the video below, or if you prefer to read check out the good how SureBackup works section of the user guide.

There is some fantastic official how-to videoes available on how to actually get started:

Userlevel 4
Badge

some great videos there

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The best videos @haslund … 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey you guys, I’m a brazilian based in Uruguay, actually working in the biggest Veeam partner here and it’s totally true @eprieto , just now I’m setting this philosophy to the new customers and contacting the past customers to configure, check the advantages and how simple it is.

For me this is the best explanation to how SureBackup works, focused on network, one of the biggest challenges to understand when you configure it.

http://blog.dewin.me/2013/04/surebackup-network-deepdive.html?m=1

OLD, BUT GOLD. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I personally like SureBackup very much! In my opinion: When you just want to start VMs automatically out of the backup and ping it or check VMware Tools heartbeat, it is quite easy and fast to setup. But then you just checked if the VMs can start. To check at application level it is much more complex to implement. I think this is one of the reasons why it is not that widely used as it should be.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I fully agree @vNote42. However, I have had good success with asking customers how do they test/monitor the same servers in production? Usually, they have scripts already available from the operations team that can be repurposed for SureBackup application level testing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I personally like SureBackup very much! In my opinion: When you just want to start VMs automatically out of the backup and ping it or check VMware Tools heartbeat, it is quite easy and fast to setup. But then you just checked if the VMs can start. To check at application level it is much more complex to implement. I think this is one of the reasons why it is not that widely used as it should be.

I agree and feel like SureBackup has one of the steepest learning curves out of the Veeam portfolio, but I think that it’s still awesome how simple it is, further simplicity would likely come at the cost of flexibility. I work for a U.K. based VASP and we supply managed backup / Cloud Connect services. As part of our managed backup solution we deploy SureBackup. We believe it is absolutely critical to know your backups are recoverable prior to a disaster event. Veeam supply some great cookie cutter templates too to help people get up and running with their core environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@MicoolPaul , could you please tell me where to find these templates?

I have to implement SureBackup in one of my client environments soon. In the moment I am not sure how to do this best…

Thanks, every hint is welcome for this :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@JMeixner What do you need? Scripts for specific applications?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MicoolPaul, could you please tell me where to find these templates?

I have to implement SureBackup in one of my client environments soon. In the moment I am not sure how to do this best…

Thanks, every hint is welcome for this :grin:

Hi, I meant the default ones built into Veeam such as Domain Authoritative/Non-Authoritative restore, web server etc. I actually just posted over in the scripts library section how I think Veeam could really benefit from a proper integrated repository for this stuff.

@haslund has done some awesome training videos on SureBackup and I’ve been prepping some materials for SureBackup on my blog too. But if I can help at all I’d be happy to field any questions 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

OK, I have not searched through the scripts @MicoolPaul mentioned, so perhaps this included there.

I am looking for SAP (classic) and Oracle DBs…

I dont’t know if this is possible to test with SureBackup, the Oracle databases are backed up with the Plugin for RMAN...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I don't know if this is possible to test with SureBackup, the Oracle databases are backed up with the Plugin for RMAN...

For SureBackup, Veeam will boot a virtual machine in an isolated environment. However, with an RMAN backup you “only” have the database backup - not the actual server and as such, it will not be possible to test it easily. You would need to have a backup of a server similar to your Oracle server where you can then script the RMAN restore into and perform checks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

:grinning: ok, my question was not exact enough.

I have a backup of the whole VM and a RMAN backup of the database.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@JMeixner: OK, interesting. Let’s say we perform an RMAN restore - what kind of tests are you looking to perform against Oracle to verify the database?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I said before, up to now I am not sure if this makes sense.

I would like to start the VM and - if this is possible - recover the database to the last possible state from the RMAN backups. After that execute some scripted SQL queries to check wether the database is working or not.

The first and the last part is not a big problem... :nerd:

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@eprieto Frankly, SureBackup is the feature made me take my decision to go for Veeam :sweat_smile: . Previously I had a bad experience to take a backup and cannot restore it due to some technical issue. However, using SureBackup for testing porpuses is a quite helpful.

Comment