Solved

Sure Backup - Best Practices

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello forum,

What are the “Best Practices” for configuring Sure Backup?
On which configuration’s I should take care, how often do you recommend to do it etc.

I have a dedicated physical server, a Tower server that will be in use for this purpose.
12 Core Processor, 128 GB of RAM and around 10TB of free space.

Our largest VM is more than 10TB but it will be okay if SureBackup can use instant restore etc

Please advise :)

icon

Best answer by BertrandFR 29 January 2024, 11:21

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello, it’s a good thing to a have a dedicated server for that purpose. You will need a licensed host if you are using vmware.

I love the blog post from @Nico Losschaert 

Recap : Surebackup - what, why and how | Veeam Community Resource Hub

I think the best pratices for surebackup always dependsof your company needs and how far you want to dig the subject.

Do you need to verify your backup everyday? How far do you need to test it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

HI @NemanjaJanicic -

I would say there really isn’t any ‘best practices’ that I’ve seen on Surebackup. How you run it will be dependent on your org’s needs. For ex, do you want/need to have a cycle where you test backups? Do you want/need to occasionally test Secure Restore to test your backups for malware? Do you have a need to occasionally test apps within your org for updates? How you run, and how often you run your Surebackup jobs will depend on how you answer those questions.

As far as setting up Surebackup, you simply just need to follow the User Guide steps which discuss how Surebackup works, verification tests, application groups, labs, then creating a job.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello, it’s a good thing to a have a dedicated server for that purpose. You will need a licensed host if you are using vmware.

I love the blog post from @Nico Losschaert 

I think the best pratices for surebackup always dependsof your company needs and how far you want to dig the subject.

Hi @BertrandFR,

We are using Hyper-V environment.
I would like to just test ping, heartbeat, the “basic” stuff so that I know that machines are recoverable.
Then later I can start configuring Application Groups a bit more in depth.
We have sql servers, DC’s, web-servers (nginx), etc…

But for the first hand just so that I configure the “basic” stuff. 

Thank you for the reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

HI @NemanjaJanicic -

I would say there really isn’t any ‘best practices’ that I’ve seen on Surebackup. How you run it will be dependent on your org’s needs. For ex, do you want/need to have a cycle where you test backups? Do you want/need to occasionally test Secure Restore to test your backups for malware? Do you have a need to occasionally test apps within your org for updates? How you run, and how often you run your Surebackup jobs will depend on how you answer those questions.

As far as setting up Surebackup, you simply just need to follow the User Guide steps which discuss how Surebackup works, verification tests, application groups, labs, then creating a job.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Hi @coolsport00,

I would like to create just a basic regular test’s for our VMs. That they are recoverable and probably include malware test.

That’s for the beginning, later I would like to fine tune it specificly for the purpose of the VMs

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

At the moment I have the problem with configuration’s.
Created Virtual Lab as “Basic Single host” just to test the functionalities.
I gave the proxy an IP address from our production network:

But ping test is failing, Heartbeat is working..

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Check out this KB for some troubleshooting steps for ping fails - https://www.veeam.com/kb1067

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I had a similar issue a while ago.   Run the SureBackup job while looking at the VMware console, When the VM comes up, log into it and see if it’s working.

My issue was VMware changes the MAC address and it was messing up the firewall rules, It was landing on private or public network instead of domain so ICMP was not getting past.  Once we applied the firewall settings it worked great.

You can test by disabling the firewall in Windows, Run a backup, then run a SureBackup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Check out this KB for some troubleshooting steps for ping fails - https://www.veeam.com/kb1067

Somehow I wasn’t aware Veeam had a KB about that. Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Somehow I wasn’t aware Veeam had a KB about that. Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose !!

Not a problem hopefully it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

At the moment I have the problem with configuration’s.
Created Virtual Lab as “Basic Single host” just to test the functionalities.
I gave the proxy an IP address from our production network:

But ping test is failing, Heartbeat is working..

Hello, heartbeat could be enough in your use case. Specially if don’t want to fight with the network part. You can disable the ping in the SBJ configuration wizard :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I love the blog post from @Nico Losschaert 

Thx @BertrandFR for mentioning my post 😍

Comment