Question

Storage Level Corruption Guard Reporting

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a way to report on the outcome of the Storage Level Corruption Guard tests? I need to provide proof of backup integrity and I’m still a few months away of being able to have a SureBackup environment set up.

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @MattPeters, I would say, you should take a look at this link for surebackup guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/surebackup_job.html?ver=120

For Storage-level corruption guard, you may need to rely on the console itself as discussed here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/backup_job_advanced_maintenance_hv.html?ver=120 or setup some sort of notification: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/backup_job_advanced_notify_hv.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I believe what is covered by @Iams3le are the main ways to see if corruption guard runs or not.  If you have Veeam ONE I believe there is something there for reporting but need to validate that one myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@MattPeters 

Storage-level corruption guard performs basically a CRC parity check on the last restore point.

I have write a article for automate this process for all chains backups.

How to atomate & schedule Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe | Veeam Community Resource Hub

regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MattPeters

Storage-level corruption guard performs basically a CRC parity check on the last restore point.

I have write a article for automate this process for all chains backups.

How to atomate & schedule Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe | Veeam Community Resource Hub

regards

I actually forgot about this post. Really great 👍

Userlevel 3

@Chris.Childerhose If you’re able to find something in VeeamONE that would be useful, not found anything myself.

@Link State your answer is promising, but I can’t get the script to run successfully. The problem is with the Veeam Validator tool which is giving the output “There are no restore points for backup (backup job name)”, this also happens when running the tool separately. There are definitely restore points!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi @MattPeters 

check this link for prerequisite

Using Veeam Backup Validator - User Guide for VMware vSphere

• first try running a single command from the Administrative CMD
  • C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup> Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe /backup:"Exchange Backup Job" /vmname:exch01 /report:"C:\exch01.html"

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Chris.ChilderhoseIf you’re able to find something in VeeamONE that would be useful, not found anything myself.

Hi, I would advise, you follow the steps/guide shared by @Link State since Veeam ONE does not report the outcomes of Storage Level Corruption Guard. You will find @Mildur comment useful here: https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/confused-by-v12-storage-level-corruption-guard-t86604.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.ChilderhoseIf you’re able to find something in VeeamONE that would be useful, not found anything myself.

Hi, I would advise, you follow the steps/guide shared by @Link State since Veeam ONE does not report the outcomes of Storage Level Corruption Guard. You will find @Mildur comment useful here: https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/confused-by-v12-storage-level-corruption-guard-t86604.html

Yes, I checked and confirm no reports in VONE unfortunately.  Hopefully the other information is useful.

Userlevel 3

hi @MattPeters 

• C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup> Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe /backup:"Exchange Backup Job" /vmname:exch01 /report:"C:\exch01.html"

Running that gives me error

"E:\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe" /backup:"VMWare Infrastructure Backup" /vmname:SKYLINE

Veeam Backup Validator Version 12.0.0.0

Copyright (C) 2023 Veeam Software Group GmbH. All rights reserved.

Cannot find last point for backup "VMWare Infrastructure Backup".

Running just against the job gives

"E:\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe" /backup:"VMWare Infrastructure Backup"

Veeam Backup Validator Version 12.0.0.0

Copyright (C) 2023 Veeam Software Group GmbH. All rights reserved.

And this is the same for any plan/VM combination. We are running with a scale out backup repository and I see only checks can be performed against the performance tier, but we do have a single extent with full and incrementals.

@Iams3le thanks for the forum post, looks like any sort of job notification was left out of v12 :D I’d be interested to see when it gets re-added if it’ll be enough of a report for my requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi @MattPeters 

"E:\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe" /backup:"VMWare Infrastructure Backup" /vmname:SKYLINE

Veeam Backup Validator Version 12.0.0.0 Copyright (C) 2023 Veeam Software Group GmbH. All rights reserved.

Running just against the job gives

"E:\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe" /backup:"VMWare Infrastructure Backup" Veeam Backup Validator Version 12.0.0.0 Copyright (C) 2023 Veeam Software Group GmbH. All rights reserved.

And this is the same for any plan/VM combination. We are running with a scale out backup repository and I see only checks can be performed against the performance tier, but we do have a single extent with full and incrementals.

@Iams3lethanks for the forum post, looks like any sort of job notification was left out of v12 :D I’d be interested to see when it gets re-added if it’ll be enough of a report for my requirements.

Hi @MattPeters 

regards

Userlevel 3

Correct, our Veeam install is on the E drive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

check this path

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 3

It looks like the tool isn’t necessarily aware of the backup files location being on an external repo, the warning is ‘File not Found’

Might be an issue with user accounts too, there is a specific account that can access the files on the repo. Doing some more testing...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Veeam Backup Validator Version 12.0.0.0 Copyright (C) 2023 Veeam Software Group GmbH. All rights reserved.

@Iams3lethanks for the forum post, looks like any sort of job notification was left out of v12 :D I’d be interested to see when it gets re-added if it’ll be enough of a report for my requirements.

Mail notifications should be back in V12a.

The validator doesn’t work for new v12 backup chains or upgrade backup chains.

There is a workaround. We are preparing a KB article:

$backup = Get-VBRBackup -Name "BJ-Nano" 
$child_backups = $backup.FindChildBackups()
ForEach ($sub_child in $child_backups) {
$id = $sub_child.Id
$name = $sub_child.name

Write-Output "Processing VM $name $id"
cmd.exe /c '"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe" /backup:'$id' '
}

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

KB article was released last Friday:

KB4485: Validator CLI Tool Fails to Process VMs in Per-machine backup with separate metadata files (veeam.com)

Comment