Question

Service Provider Console - Cloud connect neessary?

• 19 February 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge

A few years ago we were a Service Provider with a Cloud Connect setup and offered our customers Cloud Connect Repositories. We then saw tjen object storage really started to take off it would be costly to maintain a datacenter with this service compared to the prices object storage was offered by the hyperscalators! 

We then started a partnership who ran Veeam Cloud Connect environemnt with service provider console. so we could still track and monitor our customers backupjob etc. but the backup now went to the object storages. 

I am just wondering, is it necessary to deploy a cloud connect environment at all to just use the service provider console for monitoring jobs, update the agents etc.? I can see in the marketplace (Azure) there is a dedicate appliance with the service provider console. Would that be enough to maintain our clients? We are now using Wasabi for repositories. 

I guess I am having a hard time to see what we would gain from the cloud connect environment these days? (Perhaps using wasabi as repositories in the backend?)

The idea of just a service provider console and then our customers (using rental license pr.vm) which are then setup with Wasabi seems a lightweigted and nice deployment instead of using Cloud Connect with a few more servers to maintain etc…

What do you think? And do?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Frank

Cloud Connect is still mandatory. It allows your remote machines (your managed customers) to connect to the VSPC without a VPN.
But you can install Cloud Connect (VCC) and VSPC on the same machine. 

Maybe deploy the VCC gateway on a second machine in your DMZ. Just to not have the VSPC server directly in the internet.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Mildur If I create an Automation in Azure to deallocate the vms in the night (to save money).. 

Say I turn it on again appx. 1 hour before work starts. Will the agents/backupservers start to communicate again with the latest backupresults at that time? In other words; how oftes does the VSPC and agents/backupserver communicate with latest status etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @FrankIversen 

Management Agents will sync their Data with the VSPC every 1 hour or at specific events like when there are backup issues.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Mildur  Thanks! So a few hours uptime from 5-6 AM. on the morning should give us the results of the nightly backup to our customers at the morning coffee then :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Just consider, if you connect your bucket to the VCC server and then use VSPC server to centrally manage Veeam agents policies with the VCC bucket as a backup target, your VSPC server and VCC gateways must be online for the backup to be successful.

Best, 

Fabian

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Mildur  Yes, I see that one. For now we have just installed the Wasabi repositories manually at the customers, thats ok for us as we then dont need to involve the repositories in VSPC. We really just want it for monitoring.

Comment