Skip to main content
Solved

Restore VM to Cloud Director

I need to restore a VM to a vApp in VMware Cloud Director.  The Veeam docs say to “Launch VMware Cloud Director Entire VM Restore Wizard”. When I right click on the Backup that I need to restore, “Restore entire VM >” does not appear in the Context menu as it shows in the Veeam docs.

I see “Restore entire VM to Nutanix AHV...”, but not the “Restore entire VM >” as shown in the Veeam docs.

I am using Veeam 12.1.1.56 Community Edition, in case that matters.

Any help is much appreciated.

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Oldtimer -

I didn’t notice any restore capability discrepancies with Community Ed in the Comparison Guide PDF. There are some limitations with VBR Comm Ed, but I didn’t see any restore limitations aside from if you were doing so through Enterprise Mgr.

Did you try any other restore processes listed in the Guide besides rt-clicking VM > Entire VM > VMware Cloud Director? There are other areas in the Console you can do the same thing. Worth a shot to see if the option is available in those other areas.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If I am not mistaken in order to restore to vCloud you need to have vCloud Backups.  VM backups you would need to restore to vCenter then import them to vCloud.  I don’t think a path exists from VM to vCloud as you are wanting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I think Chris is correct on this one...

From the User Guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vcloud_director_full_vm_restore.html?ver=120

“You can restore one or several VMs from VMware Cloud Director backups back to VMware Cloud Director.”

vCD Restores

And, from the restore process in the Guide, it shows the backups their using to show the example are indeed of the vCD platform:

vCD Restore Begin

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can’t figure out how to create a VMware Cloud Director backup in Veeam Backup & Replication.  I see this in the documentation:

Just like a regular backup job, the VMware Cloud Director backup job can be scheduled or run manually. To create a VMware Cloud Director backup job, do one of the following:

• On the Home tab, click Backup Job > Virtual Machine and select VMware Cloud Director

When I do that, there is no choice for VMware Cloud Director.  I can’t find any way to “register” VMcloud Director. I’m missing something here, perhaps something that should be obvious.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Check this link - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/adding_vcloud_director.html?ver=120

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don’t seem to be able to add vCloud Director to Veeam B&R. I think it might be a problem with my permissions. I am a vOrg Admin but not a vCloud Director admin.

I think, in vCloud Director I can create, move, modify, copy and delete vApps and VMs but I am unable to do those things with Veeam B&R.

Can someone please confirm for me that is my problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I don’t seem to be able to add vCloud Director to Veeam B&R. I think it might be a problem with my permissions. I am a vOrg Admin but not a vCloud Director admin.

I think, in vCloud Director I can create, move, modify, copy and delete vApps and VMs but I am unable to do those things with Veeam B&R.

Can someone please confirm for me that is my problem?

I believe that support for vCloud requires a licensed version of Veeam and not CE edition.  Checking that.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh!  That would explain a lot. Thanks very much for helping.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Oh!  That would explain a lot. Thanks very much for helping.

Not a problem at all.

Comment