Skip to main content

Hey all,
I have installed veeam backup in GCP and in the policies I have created, both the snapshot and the backup are working (attached images).
now i would like to clone this backup that veeam has generated, in a new instance of GCP, but i don't see how to do it.
the idea is not to use the veeam windows backup (VBR) or another system, but to do it from GCP.

take the structure that veeam has created when leaving the backup and restore or clone the machine in GCP.
I don't see the option to do it. maybe it is not possible. someone help me to clarify this issue.

I have consulted articles like the ones below, but they do not help me:

If it is not possible to do it as I indicate, and I have to use VBR as a prerequisite, what is the point.
I mean, is it essential to use it? is it mandatory to have VBR installed and there is no other way?
Thanks in advance.

Hi @aevox -
What do you mean you want to “clone” the backup to GCP? Do you want to perform a restore of some sort into GCP? Cloning is not a function in Veeam, beit on-prem or Cloud. About as close to “cloning” as you can get is using Replication. Can you please explain further what you’re trying to do?

Thank you.

Hi @aevox -
What do you mean you want to “clone” the backup to GCP? Do you want to perform a restore of some sort into GCP? Cloning is not a function in Veeam, beit on-prem or Cloud. About as close to “cloning” as you can get is using Replication. Can you please explain further what you’re trying to do?

Thank you.

Exactly, what I want is to replicate or restore that backup in GCP, but without using VBR.

To give an example.
Let's suppose that I make backups every day of a VM instance (with Veeam, obviously) and today I made a mistake when I made some changes on the machine and I want to restore the backup that Veeam has made in GCP.

Ok @aevox , thank you for clarifying. You should be able to do an VM Instance Restore operation. Have you reviewed the process in the Veeam for GCP Guide on the process?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbgc/guide/performing_instance_restore_console.html?ver=50

Solved.

That’s great to hear @aevox .. Can you share what resolved it for you?

Comment