Solved

Restore to offsite server

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Comes here often
  • 21 comments

So I am attempting to restore files from offsite backup copy to a ServerB at the offsite.
From the VBR console I choose to guest files restore from the backup Copy. Then I entered \\ServerB\x$ as the target location. 
However the restore is happening over the WAN. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 14 January 2024, 23:27

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What restore point did you choose and which location?  If you chose the DR site it should not pull across the WAN.  Ensure to add the repo on side B to the Veeam console there and then try restore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also if you are doing this from side A that is why. Needs to be done on side B.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As Chris shared, if you're running the VBR Console on your DC1/ local site, the Mount Server used is also at the local site. Mount Servers are what's used for file level restores, thus why data will traverse the WAN. Mount Servers get created when you create your Repository. You can read more on Mount Servers here

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes I am selecting the offsite's repo backup copy. I do see the offsite repo being automatically chosen as the mount server in the restore job stats. But the guest files are being restored to the remote offsite server over the WAN for some reason.

Do I need to have a 2nd VBR also installed at the offsite and run the restore from that console ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Install just the VBR console on a Windows machine at the remote location using the VBR installer ISO. Attempt the restore from the remote machine and see if the restore traverses your WAN.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes I am selecting the offsite's repo backup copy. I do see the offsite repo being automatically chosen as the mount server in the restore job stats. But the guest files are being restored to the remote offsite server over the WAN for some reason.

Do I need to have a 2nd VBR also installed at the offsite and run the restore from that console ?

It is because you are running the restore from the main site that is why it is going from site B to A then back to B to the location you want the files.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Restores from NAS file share backups are not traversing the WAN however. These go from Offsite repo to offsite server directly.  Restores from this agent based backup though are traversing as you said.

I’ll try using a vbr console at the remote site to see if that helps. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Awesome! Works now using remote console. Just last question guys, what the point of having a full vbr server at the secondary site? It seems remote console will fulfil my needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“Restores from NAS file share backups are not traversing the WAN however”. That is expected behavior because NAS restores do not use a mount server….just Instant File Share recoveries.

You don’t need a remote VBR server. Remote VBRs are recommended for Veeam Replication tasks for DR purposes. For example, if you’re performing Veeam Replication tasks, it’s best to use a 2nd VBR server located at the site you’re replicating to. VBR Console is all you need for your purposes (restores)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Awesome! Works now using remote console. Just last question guys, what the point of having a full vbr server at the secondary site? It seems remote console will fulfil my needs.

I prefer to run VBR at the recovery site so that if the primary site goes down, I don’t need to build a new VBR server and import the configuration database (or more or less setup from scratch) before I can start restoring VM’s.  You don’t have to run it at the recovery site, but that’s my preference.  However, if you do, make sure that you have at least one proxy and repository server at the primary site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey @Arin -

Just wanted to follow-up with your post here. I think we got your sorted on this, having you install a remote Console. Anything further questions?

Comment