Solved

Restore Hyper-V VM rom USB flash

Userlevel 3

Hello!

I have the question about VM restoration from just *.vbk file stored in the USB stick.

Let say I did the Server 1 Hyper-V VM backup and it is stored in the Server 1 Veeam registered repository. Then I copy these two files on to USB flash and go to another remote location with Server 2 Hyper-V and plugin this flash into USB port.

I did not find the answer on this problem anywhere, cause it is not just copied files, it is the full bootable backup. My impression is that VM could be restored only from the repository, not from any folder or even any shared folder. But even if I copy my files from USB to Server 2 Veeam registered repository nothing happens because probably Veeam sees only backups associated with processed jobs.

Sorry if I am not clear, but it is really hard to explain. I worked before with Acronis, now moved to Veeam as  a much better product, but many things are unclear.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 15 June 2023, 19:30

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @StingerAlex ..I'm pretty sure you can back up your VM using VeeamZip to a USB, but you need Veeam to restore it. You can't just restore from a USB without Veeam. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Take a look at the VeeamZip Guide here  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But, you also don't need to necessarily use your paid version of Veeam if you have it. You can simply download and install the Community Edition (free vers ) & do your restore. 

Userlevel 3

Thank you so much! I will try.

P.S. I am using the free edition while I am learning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You bet. Please let me know how it goes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

On server 2 try importing the backup file from the USB stick.  Now you need to have the entire backup chain on the USB including VBM, VBK, VIB files. Once you then import the backup files you can restore the VM as needed.

Userlevel 3

You bet. Please let me know how it goes. 

Thank you so much, it worked fine! The only disadvantage of this method is that it cannot be scheduled, unless paid edition is installed and PowerShell plugin is used.

Userlevel 3

On server 2 try importing the backup file from the USB stick.  Now you need to have the entire backup chain on the USB including VBM, VBK, VIB files. Once you then import the backup files you can restore the VM as needed.

This way looks great, I will try it! So both physical servers must be Veeam backup and proxy servers at the same time? Can I install just agent on the second one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This way looks great, I will try it! So both physical servers must be Veeam backup and proxy servers at the same time? Can I install just agent on the second one?

You can install the agent on the second one if that is what you are using to backup the first server to restore.  If you are using VBR then it might not work as expected but let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@StingerAlex - I think what Chris is referring to is to go into your Veeam console on your regular Veeam server > the Home (main) ‘node’ > select ‘Backups’ in the left navigation tree/pane, then either rt-click ‘Backups’ or from the ribbon, select Import Backups and browse to your copied backup location. Before doing so, you’ll need to add your server2 as a ‘Managed Server’ (from the Backup Inventory node). Once the backup files are imported, you can then restore your VM from whatever restore point you want, since you copied not just the .vbk, but all your .vib files as well.

Keep in mind, regardless of which method you choose, you can’t schedule a Restore operation.

And @Chris.Childerhose ...please correct me if I misinterpretated your suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@StingerAlex - I think what Chris is referring to is to go into your Veeam console on your regular Veeam server > the Home (main) ‘node’ > select ‘Backups’ in the left navigation tree/pane, then either rt-click ‘Backups’ or from the ribbon, select Import Backups and browse to your copied backup location. Before doing so, you’ll need to add your server2 as a ‘Managed Server’ (from the Backup Inventory node). Once the backup files are imported, you can then restore your VM from whatever restore point you want, since you copied not just the .vbk, but all your .vib files as well.

Keep in mind, regardless of which method you choose, you can’t schedule a Restore operation.

And @Chris.Childerhose ...please correct me if I misinterpretated your suggestion.

Yes that is exactly what I am suggesting.  😁

Userlevel 3

And @Chris.Childerhose ...please correct me if I misinterpretated your suggestion.

Thank you, this is very important. I did not see this option “Managed Server”. SO I can import whatever full backup only into Managed Server Hyper-V (or VMware).

Userlevel 3

Thank you so much for help!

Everything works like a champ! Combination of “Import + Restore” works amazingly smoothly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you so much for help!

Everything works like a champ! Combination of “Import + Restore” works amazingly smoothly.

Glad to hear we were able to help you out and you got things going.

Comment