Solved

Restore Files from tape

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Following this document https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/restore_files_from_tape_objects.html?ver=110

but I did not get the same screen shot as described in the document.

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 14 June 2022, 22:28

View original

32 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If I see this correct, you have Veeam backup files from a backup job on your tapes.

You cannot restore single files from a client system from them directly. Copy these files from tape to a disk repository and restore then what you need with a file level restore.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vm_restore_from_tape_to_repository.html?ver=110

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks for your response. Can we not restore files directly from tape in Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not if you have Veeam Backup Files on your tape.

You can do this if you have copied client files with a File-to-Tape job to your tapes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This is how the jobs files look in tape.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you have copied your Veeam repository to tape with a File-to-Tape job. So, you have to restore these backup files to your disk repository and after that you can restore your client files from these.

You can use to backup your backup files to tape the Backup-to-Tape jobs. But then you have to restore the backup files to disk prior to restoring client files from them, too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Can you please send  link where I can perform restore of tape job to disk and then restore the files from disk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For the first step use the link in your original post. Select the backup chain (.vbk file and .vib files) of the timeframe you want to restore from and move them to the original location. In your case the directory shown in your screenshot (H:\Backups\xxxx-Backup Job). Then rescan the disk repository you have restored the files into.

Now you have the backup files of the timeframe you want to restore files to your client machine in your disk repository. And now you can do a normal file level restore to your client and restore the client files you want.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_recovery_restore_files_folders.html?ver=110

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I am so sorry, I get the option to restore files from tape when selected .VBK and .vib files. Does not give me an option to copy files to disk? If possible can you please send a screenshot? This is the first time I am working on tape restore.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, sorry for being unprecise.

Restore means what I named copy.

I will see if I have a short tutorial for this. Please give me a day or two.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you for your cooperation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Do I copy  .vib and .vbk job from H to G drive?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Where you copy them is irrelevant, you just need the folder they’re in to be a repository that Veeam can see, trigger a rescan of the repository once the files have finished restoring, and then perform the restoration task you need (file/VM file/application etc) via VBR as normal 🙂 using the imported backups as your source

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @csaha77 ,
please see the following topic for a tutorial to restore files from file-to-tape job to disk and use them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@JMeixner so sorry I am still having trouble to find the location mentioned in the below link

Could not find the menu restore content. We are using Community Edition. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You have to go to the section “Tape Environment” in the Veeam console. There you select the tape from the media list and select “Restore Content".

I will look for a screenshot….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There are several sections in the bottom left corner of the Veeam console. Select “Tape Infrastructure”.

Then you have upper left the tape infrastructure. Select either in the “Media Pools” or in the “Media” section of the tape library the tape from which you want to restore.

Right click on the tape and select “Restore Content”.

I don’t have a Veeam server with Community license and a tape library at my hands at the moment...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

OK, I see there is another procedure.

Go to the “Files” section of the Veeam console. There should be a section “Tape”. Select the server and the drive/directory you want restore files to. Right click and select “Restore files from tape...”. Then a wizard appears, follow the directions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Question again, with this process selected .vbk file in tape but cannot select the exact file name. Do I have to restore the entire content of the .vbk file in destination location? Do I also need .vib file? What would the next steps be. Looks like I still having issues how to restore files from tape.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you need to restore the whoöe .vbk file. And if you want to restore files from a following day,  then the .vib files, too.

Please follow my guide if have linked in my post above. Restore the backup files to a repository, rescan the repository and then restore from the backup giles the single files to your target system.

This is a process with two steps. You have the files on tape Veeam has generated during the backup of your client maschines. You can see them as archives which contain the files from your client machine.

After you have restored these files to your Veeam repository, then you can restore the client files from them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

ok thank for the quick response. Looking for a drive which has 397 GB space. Will proceed with restore soon. Sorry will probably ask few questions if I get stuck since this is the first time restoring files from tape.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just be absolute clear, you need the .vbk file with corresponding .vib files from the timeframe you want to restore from only. Not the whole tape content…

And you are welcome. You can't learn new things without asking. 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@JMeixner I have copied the job from tape to disk (.vbk and .vib)

What are the next steps to follow? Can I restore from here or do I need to copy?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please follow my guide I have posted on monday. There are all steps described.

Regarding your screenshot the files are now in the directory G:\Restore\Backups\…  I don't think that this is the root directory of one of your disk repositories.

So, please start with the step to copy the restored files to a disk repository and proceed with the step to rescan the disk repository you have copied the files into.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@JMeixner 

Is Tape infrastructure the right menu? Both from Files and Tape infrastructure I get the same files which are now copied from VM to Physical server G drive.

But from here I cannot map to the physical server to restore the files. Not sure where I am doing wrong.

Comment