Solved

restore backup and keep time+date when the server was backed up, not current date/time

• 17 January 2024
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello, Thanks,

I need to restore a backup, but need that date/time to match the date/time that the backup was taken.

For example, I have a .vmb, .vbk, and recovery agent iso
Need to restore full backup from 10/07/2023 into a hyperv vm.

But no matter what I try, after restore and reboot, the date is not set to 10/07/2023
1. I have setup the hyperv vm not to use “Time Synchronization”
2. disable network access, so not ability to contact NTP server.
3. As soon as the vm boots, but before starting the restore, i open a command prompt and manually set date to 10/07/2023
4. then I run the recovery, reboot into the OS and the date is wrong.

Any suggestions please?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 10 February 2024, 23:43

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What do you mean the date is wrong? Do you want the date to be 10/7, but ends up being today’s date?

Regardless...that issue is not a Veeam issue, but Windows. But I’ll try & help however I can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The VM might be getting time from the BIOS. Check the VM’s BIOS clock.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Considering current time would be used with a restore the only way I can think of to set the date/time you want is manually changing it after the restore.  Veeam cannot set the time to the restore point date/time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @asdffdsa6132 -

I just wanted to follow up with you to see if any of our comments helped answer your question? If not, have you reached out to Veeam Support? If they helped you, or you resolved this on your own, can you share what the resolution was? If one of the comments helped you, could you select one as a ‘Best Answer’? Doing so will benefit those who may come across your post with a similar query.

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

hi @coolsport00, the only suggestion i saw was yours, about VM BIOS clock.
I tried that but could not get into the BIOS.
Praytell, using hyperv, how can I do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

hi @coolsport00, the only suggestion i saw was yours, about VM BIOS clock.
I tried that but could not get into the BIOS.
Praytell, using hyperv, how can I do that?

The BIOS is done on boot of the server.  You cannot access it in windows or hyper-v.  Unless you mean a VM in hyper-v there is an option to boot to BIOS within the settings.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Sorry, confused, you wrote Check the VM’s BIOS clock

I thought that meant that inside the virtual machine, i could boot to BIOS, set the date/time in the BIOD, boot windows in the vm and have windows use that BIOS state.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I clicked `Mark Answer` by mistake, that is not the answer and I could not undo my action.
So far, that is not working for me.

Thanks

Comment