Solved

Repository with Immutability Primary or Secondary Repository?

• 4 November 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge

for a customer I have Veeam 12 installed and as primary Repository an Ubuntu Server with the possibility to configure immutability, as secondary I have a Gen4 HPE StoreOnce with also the possibility to configure immutability, where do you advise me to make immutability backups, on the Primary or Secondary Repository or on both ? (the two Repositories are in two different locations)

icon

Best answer by HunterLAFR 4 November 2023, 10:51

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I would say both. You can configure a few days immutability on the repository (less than daily retention).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As @CarySun mentioned, technically, both are possible based on your scenarios discussed: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/immutability.html?ver=120

Again, this should be more of your strategy (increased security) and business goal …

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ideed, Both would be the best,
then, you can play with the retention policy, 
use the ubuntu as primary 30 days immutability / retention.

and the Storeonce as long retention, Archiving, etc… setting up a higher immutability, to ensure your backups and have extra restore points taking advantage of the deduplication.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ideed, Both would be the best,
then, you can play with the retention policy, 
use the ubuntu as primary 30 days immutability / retention.

and the Storeonce as long retention, Archiving, etc… setting up a higher immutability, to ensure your backups and have extra restore points taking advantage of the deduplication.

cheers.

I would follow this for setup so you have one with short term retention and the other for longer retention.  You could do a backup copy job of the initial one going to the Ubuntu repo on the Storonce.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

You can never have too much immutability enabled.  I always recommend that all copies of the data that can be made immutable, be made immutable.

Comment