Solved

remove backup repository

• 1 February 2024
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 4

Hello all,

I have really small environment(manufacture) with 2x virtual server on HyperV where HPE autoloader is connected over switch. This autoloader is used as backup destination of course. After installation of Backup Server on one of the servers(this server has also other role), Veaam discovered share and automatically added as Backup Repository. This share has different purpose, not for Veaam. Because is the only repository I'm not able to remove it from Veaam. Any hint?

icon

Best answer by Ladislav Boka 17 February 2024, 19:47

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If Veeam set this up as the “Default Repository” you will need to add another repository and retarget things going to the initial one.  Then you can delete this one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Things like Configuration Backup will go to the default one so change that to the new repository then delete the other one if you have no backup jobs as yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Ladislav Boka -

When you install Veeam on a server, and have what’s called a “Simple Deployment” type (all roles are consolidated to the Veeam server itself), according to the User Guide, during install Veeam looks at all the Volumes connected to the server and indentifies and designates the Volume with greatest space as the “Default Backup Repository”. To be able to remove this Volume as a Repository, you simply need to add another as Chris shared above.

To do so, if you have another Volume on your Veeam server, all you need to do is the following:

1. Change your backup job(s) Storage section to point to an ‘Automatic’-based Repository
  2. Go to the Backup Inrastructure node in the Veeam Console > rt-click the Backup Repositories heading and select to Add Backup Repository > Direct-Attached Storage & choose Windows. Give it a name, then choose your VBR server and click the Populate button to show other Volumes on your VBR server, if they didn’t already display.
  3. Select another Volume to add as a Repository and finish out the Wizard
  4. NOTE: you should be prompted to make this new Repository as a location for the Configuration Database backup target. Select yes to change it

Your backup jobs should then use this new Repo by default. Just make sure it has enough space to house your backups and Veeam DB backups. You will then be able to remove your former default repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Ladislav Boka -

Was the info Chris & I shared helpful for your issue? Still having a problem removing your Repo?

Userlevel 4

Yes, I made fast installation calling “Simple Deployment” and my workaround was by creating "fake” share which I used as "default” destination while I made Autoloader visible for system(HW issue discovered). thanks all for your hints.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Ladislav Boka - great! Glad to hear. If any of our comments helped you out, we ask you please select which comment best helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar issue/question who come across your post may benefit. If any of your comments is what helped, you can select your own as well.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Glad to hear your issue resolved.

Comment