Solved

Release licence for users in Veeam backup for Microsoft Office 365

Userlevel 4

I’d backed up some data for a group of users during a mail migration. The job is complete so I’ve deleted it all to free up the licenses for another job.

Unfortunately I believe that I’ve done things in the wrong order. The repository has been deleted and now I can’t get “Remove-VBOLicensedUser”. For every user it outputs:

“Remove-VBOLicensedUser : The process cannot access the file '\\10.1.1.1\office365backups\BackupName\Repository.xml' because it is being used by another process”

The repository listed is nothing to do with these users and it’s not in user by any process that I can see - certainly openfiles is blank. Any idea how to proceed?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 6 June 2023, 15:23

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you check the Veeam help here - Remove-VBOLicensedUser - Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 PowerShell Reference

Note the IMPORTANT piece on there -

You need to remove the user data from the repository first before you can remove the licensed user.

Userlevel 4

Yup, the whole repository has been blitzed and doesn’t show up with Get-VBORepository. Still can’t remove the licences though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yup, the whole repository has been blitzed and doesn’t show up with Get-VBORepository. Still can’t remove the licences though.

I think you needed to remove the user data from the repository before deleting it as there is probably some records still in the XML file referenced possibly.  So unsure if you will get this to work and might need to contact Support.

Userlevel 4

Yeah, I was worried that might be the case. You live and leearn. :)

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If the jobs and the data have been removed, the licenses should be freed up in 31 days:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_licensing.html?ver=70

“The Veeam license is consumed by objects (mailboxes, OneDrive for Business accounts, SharePoint personal sites) for which at least one restore point has been created within the last 31 days. If an object was not backed up for 31 days, its license is automatically revoked.”

Userlevel 4

Yeah, I’d like to get those licences over the next few days though. Looks like support will be the only option.

Comment