Question

Question about veeam agent

Userlevel 3

Hello everyone.

I have the following query, in version 12 I see that there is the possibility of adding a proxy in the "General-purpose backup proxy" option, according to the following in the description "(...) and off-host backups of physical server" I would understand that it is possible for a physical server with veeam agent to add a proxy backup.

Why the question? I have a Windows Server 2019 server that serves as a file server and when I run the job, either incremental or full, it slows down access to shared files and users complain. That being said, this proxy would help me mitigate or reduce the impact or what good practice do you recommend?

The repository is an smb folder inside a Qnap NAS.

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Since this is Hyper-V which I do not use much then the General Purpose Proxy should accomplish what you need.  There will still be some slowdown when the VM snapshot is taken but that is expected and should not last long.  I would try the proxy and see how things go as per here - General-Purpose Backup Proxies - User Guide for Microsoft Hyper-V (veeam.com)

Userlevel 3

Hello thanks for response.

The server do not Hyper-V is a server physical (stand alone) with backup veeam agent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello thanks for response.

The server do not Hyper-V is a server physical (stand alone) with backup veeam agent.

Then more than likely the issue with the SMB share is when the Agent takes the VSS snapshot to back up the files.  There is nothing you can do to get around this except running the backup jobs at off-peak hours when less users are connected.  The Proxy you mentioned relates to using Veeam Console with VBR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

So in answer to the original question: A proxy isn’t used when a Veeam Agent Backup is created. This is because the reading of data must be performed within the OS.

Your performance issues could be related to the following:

• CPU constraints in the server, the Veeam Agent needs to read data, compress/dedupe/encrypt data, and then send to the backup repository.
  • RAM constraints, required for the processing of the above
  • IO constraints, if your CPU, RAM, network and backup target can go faster, then Veeam will read data faster. So you could be putting extra stress on your storage, making things slower. You could use the Backup IO control to throttle backup performance if that’s the case. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/protection_group_advanced_vaw.html?ver=120
    Network constraints, if your backup repository is accessed over the network you could be saturating available bandwidth. On the same topic as above you can throttle network IO to prevent saturating this completely.

If you check out this list and confirm if the issue persists 👍

Comment