Solved

Question about agent based backups

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you setup a VBR agent based backup on a machine that has 3 volumes listed in the OS (one volume being the VBR backup repository), and you set the backup type to entire computer; VBR by default will backup all 3 volumes listed in the OS, including the backup repository volume, correct?

For context, in this scenario, the Veeam repository volume points to a NAS setup via iscsi initiator.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 10 March 2022, 18:01

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have never tried this but unsure if an iSCSI drive will be backed up or not.  I know if you have USB drives connected and select Entire Computer you need to check the box for those, otherwise they don’t back up.

Let us know what you find out as I am interested if it does back up iSCSI or not.  If I am to hazard a guess I say it will not but always glad to be proven wrong. :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes, iscsi connected drives behaves like local attached drives. With vss and everything else.

Choose Volume Level Backup and exclude the drive letter from the iscsi connected drive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, iscsi connected drives behaves like local attached drives. With vss and everything else.

Choose Volume Level Backup and exclude the drive letter from the iscsi connected drive.

Good to know.  Thanks for confirmation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks, guys. I was thinking that was the case. I ran into a situation where I had fairly large incrementals and when I looked at the way the backup was setup, “Entire Computer” was chosen as the backup option. Based on a similar situation I saw a while back, I figured it was backing up every listed volume, including the VBR repository volume. I changed over to volume level. Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

ISCSI is absolutely backed up by the agent.  I had to do this for a VM with RDM drives as RDM’s cannot be snapped and backed up at the VM level.  I setup VM backup for the VM as a whole, and then used the agent to backup the RDM/ISCSI drives to the Veeam repo.  

Comment