Solved

Quarterly backup to USB setup suggestions

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi, team

I need some advice. We have a client that we need to do a quarterly full backup for. We would like to run an active full to a USB attached drive that will be rotated out each quarter. Each USB drive will be designated for a specific quarter (i.e. USB Quarter 1, Quarter 2, etc).

This job will only run once per quarter and we would like each run to be a full backup. What is the best way to accomplish this in VBR 11a?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 11 May 2022, 17:28

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would set up the job to run quarterly for the schedule and then send it to a repo that is backed by rotating drives as per here - Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

This should accomplish what you need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey @bp4JC!

You want to create a repository with the setting “backed by rotated drives”: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_repository_rotated.html?zoom_highlight=rotated&ver=110

To run it quarterly, create the job with a schedule of monthly, with specific months:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/replica_schedule_vm.html?zoom_highlight=schedule&ver=110

Then for your job itself, make sure whatever day you have set to backup on, you set that as your active full day 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Fantastic! Thanks, everyone. I was on the right track, and this confirms it. I really appreciate it. I have the new job setup. You are all super awesome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

My only comment @bp4JC  is please tell me this is not the *only* backup job in place.

I only ask because, in my 12 years at Veeam; I’ve “SEEN THINGS”….

My only comment @bp4JC  is please tell me this is not the *only* backup job in place.

OMG! @Rick Vanover 
When are you going to write a book about the things you've seen?

Sound scary but funny at the same time.

Great answer @Chris.Childerhose 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

My only comment @bp4JC  is please tell me this is not the *only* backup job in place.

Oh, no. Not at all. This is more of an archival solution for them in addition to their normal backup jobs.

Comment