Solved

Problems restoring files from backup

• 23 December 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 2

Hi, I'm a new user trying the Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition v12.1 for the first time. I’ve installed Veeam on a Windows 10 computer, and was able to make a backup of all the drives from a client computer also running Windows 10. But when I tried to restore a file from the backup, I got the error message shown below. I am initiating the restore via the Veeam console running on the same computer as the Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition.

Restore failed Error: Neither Installer service nor Admin$ file share are available

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

icon

Best answer by Moustafa_Hindawi 23 December 2023, 13:19

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

At what point do you get this error? Are you able to mount and browse the backup?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Seems that the user is either not allowed to login to the machine or it is not allowed to access the administrative Windows shares.

To restore files on a machine the user needs to be a member of the local administrator group.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You need local admin permission, also check antivirus exclusion list is applied or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also are you using VBR or the Agent for this operation as they both work slightly different for restoring.  Also check permissions as mentioned.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for everyone’s help.

As it turns out, the Norton Smart Firewall installed on the client computer is blocking the restore.  The firewall activity log showed this:

Rule "Default Block EPMAP" rejected  TCP(6)  traffic with HSW10 Port (56015)”

HSW10 is the name of the computer with the Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition installation.

What firewall settings do I need to make for allowing the restore to go through?  I can also add programs to the exclusion list as suggested by Moustafa Hindawi in one of the replies.  What program (or programs) would I need to add to the list?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Here is list with ports Veeam uses for different operations.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/used_ports.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @ptmy305 

HYG

https://www.veeam.com/kb1999

Comment