Question

PostgreSQL credentials

Userlevel 2

Trying to upgrade Veeam from 12.0 to 12.1, and the original installer has left. How would we reset the credentials so we can perform the update? We thought our service account was used but apparently not. All attempts to update have failed so far. Part of the issue is most NASA accounts require PIV card authentication, and I don’t know if that plays well with a Veeam update. The service account is PIV exempt.

The current version is pushing an old version of the kmod veeamsnap that won’t work with the current RH kernel. Why don’t we just rebuild the kmod in the fly every time a new kernel arrives like other kmods seem to work? Like CUDA for example.

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Was a service account used, or the default LOCAL\SYSTEM account?

And, I assume you’re attempting to upgrade Veeam Backup?...not VeeamONE or other product?

Userlevel 2

Was a service account used, or the default LOCAL\SYSTEM account?

And, I assume you’re attempting to upgrade Veeam Backup?...not VeeamONE or other product?

Yeah, that’s the point, I don’t know what was used. If his AD account, that account is dead, and will never authenticate. My admin level domain account fails. The service account fails. We even tried the local Administrator account that NASA renames.

Yes, Veeam Backup

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What account is shown for the postgresql service? If it’s the account that you no longer have to reset the pwd for, I’d recommend getting ahold of Support to see if they can assist.

Userlevel 2

What account is shown for the postgresql service? If it’s the account that you no longer have to reset the pwd for, I’d recommend getting ahold of Support to see if they can assist.

If I check the Postgresql Service it says “Network Service” with the password field invisible dots under Log On.

Userlevel 2

Can I change the PostgreSQL account in Services without totally breaking Veeam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've not done that before. I recommend getting ahold of support to see what your options are. 

Userlevel 2

I've not done that before. I recommend getting ahold of support to see what your options are. 

Annoyingly, NASA buys through procurement to save a tax payer buck. But often that means no direct access to support. I didn’t buy it, so I don’t have a customer portal login for support. How NASA saves money is vendors don’t have to deal with thousands of individuals. Maybe Veeam is different, but I didn’t go through the purchase process. Not to mention Veeam just laid off 300 workers :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You should still be able to get support because they even offer support for the free Community Ed, albeit best effort. You should be able to create a Veeam account & log in. Use the product support ID in the license area of the VBR console when you create the case. Try that & see if you can get assistance. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

When you go through the upgrade process, at what point are you getting stuck? What’s the exact step/error message?

Userlevel 2

When you go through the upgrade process, at what point are you getting stuck? What’s the exact step/error message?

After you are prompted to enter the PostgreSQL credentials. It inherits mine and fails.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

After you are prompted to enter the PostgreSQL credentials. It inherits mine and fails.

You can’t just use “Windows Auth” option? 

Otherwise, you could make sure you’ve a backup/snapshot and then reset the account password How To Reset Forgotten Password Of postgres User (postgresqltutorial.com)

Userlevel 2

You can’t just use “Windows Auth” option? 

Otherwise, you could make sure you’ve a backup/snapshot and then reset the account password How To Reset Forgotten Password Of postgres User (postgresqltutorial.com)

Windows auth is what fails. It might work if I was the guy who installed it in the first place. In Services it says PG runs as “Network Services”.

I will look at the PG reset page you sent.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@mntbighker If you’re still dealing with this issue, a new KB just went live that might help with adding additional accounts to access the postgres install - KB4542: "SSPI authentication failed for user" (veeam.com)

Comment