Question

Postgres Error during Server Migation

• 12 June 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 1

I’m migrating my Veeam install to new brand new VM. The original Veeam server is Windows 2019 running Veeam B & R & Veeam ONE. The original install was v11 that was upgraded to v12, currently using MSSQL.

The new instance Windows 2022 running a fresh install of only Veeam B & R using Postgres.

I’m going through the steps in the Veeam B&R Configuration Restore Wizard when I run into the this error:

SSPI authentication failed for user “HOSTNAME\Administrator”

I’m using Windows authentication for the Postgres credentials.

Has anyone run into a solution for this error?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am pretty sure you cannot restore an MSSQL config backup into PostgreSQL.  That is the issue and if you needed to get that restored then you will need to use SQL on the new box or recreate everything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The other option is migrate the current server to PostgreSQL, take config backup then restore to new server.  That would be the only way around it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, did you choose restore or migrate in the restore wizard:

It needs to be migrate as per documentation:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vbr_config_migrate_to_postgresql.html?ver=120

If this was the way you did it, then it could be a difference of account permissions for PostgreSQL when you installed this new instance, let’s confirm you’re using the migration mode first though 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi, did you choose restore or migrate in the restore wizard:

It needs to be migrate as per documentation:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vbr_config_migrate_to_postgresql.html?ver=120

If this was the way you did it, then it could be a difference of account permissions for PostgreSQL when you installed this new instance, let’s confirm you’re using the migration mode first though 🙂

Yup, I am using the Migrate option

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@qualitysocks Probably you’ve already solved your issue, so I’m posting this just for reference. If you’ve changed the hostname of your server or use a different user than during the PostgreSQL setup, you might need to adjust the permissions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @qualitysocks -

I’m just following up on your server migration post. Did you resolve your issue? Did one of the provided comments assist you in doing so, or did you get Veeam Support? If one of the comments helped you out, could you mark which one did as ‘Best Answer’ so others with the same issue who visit your post may benefit? Or, if Support helped you, can you share what they did to get your issue resolved?

Thank you.

Comment