Solved

Performing Backup Health Check on a storage which is only powered on during backup

• 28 December 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 1
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 2 comments

Hello,

if I understand it correctly, in Veeam 12 the backup health check is performed independently from the backup copy job.

In my case that leads to a problem because the backup repository which is the target for the backup copy job is only switched on for the backup (powering on and powering off is done by job scripts in the backup copy job).

Is there any solution for this?

In my opinion there are several ways that would lead to a solution:

1. Starting health check immediately after the backup before the after job script. But that could not be configured any more or I didn’t find it.
  2. Adding the functionality to execute scripts before and after the health check.
  3. Starting health check manually from the command line. Then I could execute a script which starts the repository, performs the health check and power off again. I found powershell commands to perform a backup health check, but that doesn’t work anymore. Or I used it wrong.
  4. Starting and stopping the backup repository by a windows job at a certain time. But then it can happen that the repository is switched off during the health check if it takes longer than expected.

Any ideas to solve my problem.

Thanks in advanced for your ideas.

Best regards

DoMo

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 28 December 2023, 14:38

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @DoMo,
the last information I got was that the command Start-VBRBackupHealthCheck does not work with the new V12 backup file format. No newer information unfortunately.

As far as I know is the only working way to schedule a health check.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you can’t run the health check ad hoc then what about setting up surebackup jobs to run periodically after the backups? Not a health check per se but at the same time they prove that the backups are not corrupted and that you can restore. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the fast reply and the help.

@JMeixner That is the answer I had expected but didn't want to hear. 😉. But if there is no other solution at the moment I will wake up the Repository by an separate task before the scheduled health check. Not very elegant but better than no health check.

@Geoff Burke I didn’t know that Sure Backup also allows only a testing of the backup files without starting the virtual machine in a test lab. That seems to be a new function in Veeam 12. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with Backup Copy Jobs. Or have I missed something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not really any other way I know of than what was already suggested here. Maybe you can request a feature enhancement on the Forums in a subsequent VBR release @DoMo of what specifically you’re wanting. Veeam PMs are pretty good at viewing those and giving responses on the likelihood the request would be looked at.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As noted, there is no way to run the health check on a powered off device.  I would take Shane’s suggestion and post an enhancement request in the forums for this.

This page explains the health check but nothing to get around your issue unfortunately - Health Check for Backup Files - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@domo You are correct about the backup copy job not possible to test with surebackup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I have to agree with posting an enhancement request in the R&D forums.  Better scheduling of the health check as well as backup file maintenance such as defragmenting (for Forever Forwards) would be a welcome enhancement to me.  They’re in the same boat where they’re tied to the backup job, but it would be nice to be able to separate that as a separate job somehow so that it can be manually run, or scripts run around it, etc.  I don’t think it’s a huge use case for me at least, but someone else might find it helpful.  Not sure however how hard it would be to implement.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for all the answers. I posted a feature request on the R&D forums (Link, the post is not visible actually because it must be approved).

Comment