Performance Tuning Veeam releated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Here is something that I don’t see enough of.  First, what is the fastest or average job you have? If you could follow it up with some hardware specs, or config design that would be super helpful too.

If you can also add, what is the single best thing you have done to improve your Veeam performance?

I average around 1GB on most jobs. I have it 2GB  and the smaller incremental sometimes hit between 100-300MB but only for a few minutes. 

I feel I get decent performance but was wondering if anyone is hitting significantly higher speeds while they backup?

My source SAN’s are good. IBM V7000’s and FS7200 flash systems. My Veeam SAN is an older IBM V7000 with all spinning disk which could probably use an upgrade, but performance doesn’t change much backing up to SSD for me. 

I have all fiber, and 16GB for everything but 8GB for Tape as that is the LTO8 max.

I created about 8 Volumes on the SAN as per IBM best practices to use more of the cores on the controllers, but doubtful it makes a difference as I’m not making out the storage CPU by any means. 

My Veeam Proxys are beasts with 256GB memory and 20 Cores, 40 logical. Only at 2.6GHz though. 

I’m also backing up using storage snapshots

As a storage nerd, I love to run I/O meter and benchmark different things. 

Perhaps we could have a record for fastest backups in here :)   We would have to probably use a single VM, (The same ovf even)  to keep it fair. Clone it a few times for a multi VM test. 

I’m thinking other than adding another proxy for more concurrent jobs, it’s going to be tough to get faster.  As much as you read the “Best Practices” guides, there are so many “It depends” answers that I am curious what's out there. 

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can have a look at this thread

Ok, you will have to translate some posts from German to English.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can look at the thread Joe posted as that is a very good resource for sure.

For us we are still tweaking as we go when I am redesigning things.  I know one main thing we have done at one of our DCs is to add physical proxy servers that have direct access to storage via FC which has sped jobs up.

Also, we are trying to move over to Linux XFS now from ReFS but that is a longer-term project and waiting on v12 to make it easier to move things. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

For us we are still tweaking as we go when I am redesigning things.  I know one main thing we have done at one of our DCs is to add physical proxy servers that have direct access to storage via FC which has sped jobs up.

Also, we are trying to move over to Linux XFS now from ReFS but that is a longer-term project and waiting on v12 to make it easier to move things. 

I also use physical FC proxies which is using direct access. Very consistent I find.  I wonder how much different going to Linux XFS would make. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks. I’ll have to work on my German. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I also use physical FC proxies which is using direct access. Very consistent I find.  I wonder how much different going to Linux XFS would make. 

It is mainly for the Immutability that we are moving that direction.  I do find that the resources required for a Linux XFS server are not as great as what was required for ReFS initially.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I couldn’t to much results / configuration / setup information unfortunately following that link. Perhaps we have some more community members with fantastic setups that want to share some tips. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I couldn’t to much results / configuration / setup information unfortunately following that link. Perhaps we have some more community members with fantastic setups that want to share some tips. 

OK, there are results published only.

I think @falkob can give you some valuable information, he has won the Beat Gostev Challenge with his company.

Comment