Question

Oracle database restore to another server

• 9 September 2023
  • 8 comments

Hi Veeam,

We are taking oracle database backup through Application-Aware backup job in Veeam.

It happing seccessfully. Now, we are trying to restore Oracle database to another server (Same OS and Oracle version installed). 

But it showing some error that “Failed to get database files from mounted backup”.

Please help me on this. I dont know how to mount backup in Veeam.

Thanks.

The error snapshot is showing blow.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Apologies for the generic sounding advice here but have you firstly confirmed any firewalls are configured to allow the communication required via here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/explorers/veo_used_ports.html?ver=120

I’d suggest opening the log files generated by this as they often include the network communication error that causes this message.

Is this a Linux server or Windows that hosts Oracle?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The source and target server Windows OS based. Both have same version of Oracle application installed.

No Firewall in between source, target and veeam VBR server.

It is asking to mount backup, and one more thing what is staging server.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @surender.singh 

From my experience first step is to check account permission in target server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @surender.singh a staging server is used for point in time recovery and exports of backups taken without AAP. A staging server is a production server that is running Oracle so the backup can be mounted to it for any actions that require an Oracle installation to perform.

More details: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/explorers/veor_staging_server.html?ver=120

Hi @MicoolPaul and Andanet,

Thanks for your reply.

@Andanet we have administrative access on both (source and target server).

These are the steps we followed :-

1. create a job to get application aware backup on prodection server.
  2. After job completion we go to the navigation and select “Disk” to get completed backup job.
  3. Expand the job = find the server name that we backed up.
  4. Right click find “Application items = Oracle database”
  5. Choose the latest backup from list.
  6. Browse and veeam explorer for oracle is started.
  7. Select Oracle Database and “restore to another server”.
  8. Choose point in time backup to restore.
  9. Enter new server name(Same Oracle application installed).
  10. Enter Administrator username and password.
  11. it will automatically showing Oracle  Home database path.
  12. Start restore and after 2 min it showing an error that is already been showing up in the discussion.

Now, Please assist me what i missed. In the general setting of “Veeam explorer for Oracle” we have configured new server name and username passoword and it is velidated as well.

still we are facing same issue.

Please assist it is very important for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please check this link as you need a staging server for Oracle restores as noted at the bottom of the page - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/explorers/veo_mount.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If I remember correctly you must use Oracle account on target server with correct permission as you can see here

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/explorers/veo_permissions.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @surender.singh just to reiterate, the best thing to troubleshoot quickly will be to search your Veeam Logs for any errors during the recovery, it might highlight something such as a network config on an Oracle server you weren’t aware of, an inaccessible port, or a permissions issue that others have been alluding to. A full trace will be within the log file to say what source IP was connecting to which destination IP + port if it’s a network problem, which you can compare against the required ports documentation, and if an authentication/configuration problem is happening operating against the staging server or destination server, then you’ve got detailed error codes in there 🙂

and if you need help deciphering the logs, post it here and we can take a look!

If this is a real production system recovery issue that is time sensitive, then you should get a case going with Veeam too! 🙂 they can do remote sessions to help go through these logs.

Comment