Solved

On site backup to cloud questions

I had a few questions about backup from onsite computers to the cloud. I am currently using the community edition of veeam backup and replication. The backups are currently going to onsite storage. 

1. Does the community edition has the capability to backup to cloud storage? If so how?
  2. Is there any difference between the community edition and the essential edition aside from the number of workloads they can support?
  3. I see that veeam supports backups to AWS, Azure, and Google. Does veeam support backing up to other cloud storage providers?
icon

Best answer by Mildur 21 May 2024, 21:27

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I had a few questions about backup from onsite computers to the cloud. I am currently using the community edition of veeam backup and replication. The backups are currently going to onsite storage. 

1. Does the community edition has the capability to backup to cloud storage? If so how?
  2. Is there any difference between the community edition and the essential edition aside from the number of workloads they can support?
  3. I see that veeam supports backups to AWS, Azure, and Google. Does veeam support backing up to other cloud storage providers?

Yes CE edition works for most of the things you mention.

1. YEs it can back up to Cloud Storage to vendors and S3 - Cloud backup & DR in Veeam Backup & Replication
  2. The CE edition and Essentials is just license type and counts.  That is all.
  3. Yes they do other vendors related to S3 storage, etc.  Examples of some - Wasabi, BackBlaze, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +12
  1. No it cannot.

A licensed version (subscription, perpetual or rental) of Veeam Backup & Replication will be required to use Object Storage or Cloud Connect as a backup target.

Page 10 mentions the license requirement:

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platform_feature_comparison_ds.pdf

And for Agent backups on Page 4:

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_agents_feature_comparison_ds.pdf

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

1. Is there any difference between the community edition and the essential edition aside from the number of workloads they can support?

There are limitations. Please see both PDF documents I shared. Limitations are mentioned in there.

Best,

Fabian

Comment