Official support for vSphere 7.0 U3 is here

• 1 November 2021
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12
  • On the path to Greatness
  • 1273 comments

Anton Gostev has just announced the official support for vSphere 7.0 U3 in his weekly R&D Forums Digest. The only requirement is to run the latest VBR release v11a. And don't forget to update to 7.0 U3a because of the bug with thin-provisioned disks (link at the bottom).

Onto the Veeam news next! Our QC has just completed the full testing cycle of VMware vSphere 7.0 Update 3 and we're now ready to declare its official support with the current version of Veeam Backup & Replication 11a. However, be aware that the original U3 build has a regression which can consistently cause PSOD on multiple hosts in cluster. This issue really plagued one of our labs to the point where we had to stop using it for testing completely. Luckily, right when we finally finished our testing on Friday, VMware dropped the new Update 3a build which supposedly addresses this issue. So be sure to download and use this newer vSphere build instead of the original one! As someone just told me, it always pays to wait for the official support by Veeam before upgrading to a newer vSphere version – albeit always for a

different reason

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for posting @regnor! Most of our customers are still 6.7 due to the non-stop fun that 7.0 has brought but I’m hopeful that we can start to roll it out soon… under a year now to 6.5/6.7 EOL

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thank you @regnor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx for sharing @regnor ! I hope that the stability in update-releases will come back, not only Vmware, but definitely Microsoft.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for posting @regnor! Most of our customers are still 6.7 due to the non-stop fun that 7.0 has brought but I’m hopeful that we can start to roll it out soon… under a year now to 6.5/6.7 EOL

That's true, 7.0 had it's issues. Let's hope that with U3a we finally have a stable release; though we didn't experience any issues with 7.0.

Thx for sharing @regnor ! I hope that the stability in update-releases will come back, not only Vmware, but definitely Microsoft.

This would be wonderful. The basic infrastructure components should be 100% stable as they're the most critical parts; so hypervisor, storage and networking software bugs should be the the last to worry about. Both Microsoft and VMware should focus on that part instead of introducing new feature and putting more and more into every minor release.

By the way, the last part of Antons news is something I also keep saying. If Veeam says a release is supported, then you can be sure it was tested extensively and no major issues have been found.

As someone just told me, it always pays to wait for the official support by Veeam before upgrading to a newer vSphere version – albeit always for a

different reason

They even ran into the PSOD bug.👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Was nice to read this today and see it supported. Still waiting on the USB NIC fling before I update my hosts at home. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Very nice, thanks @regnor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Unfortunately @MicoolPaul  is right, vSphere 6.5/7 is End-of-general-support in about 11 month from now

https://lifecycle.vmware.com/#/

With each new Update-version the previous one gets no patches any more. So you are forced to update.

I guess we will see a version 8 in about half a year - when VMware sticks with their update-each-half-year policy. From my perspective a update each 6 month is very welcome. But please, VMware, do just fix bugs and do not add such a amount of new feature!

Comment