Solved

Notification when VBR Job is changed

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello all,

I am looking for a "simple" way to generate a notification when a backup or copy job is edited in VBR. The idea at the beginning is just to get an info (mail), not to rate the modification, if it’s a good or bad modification. Examples of bad changes would be reducing retention, changing encryption password, etc.

Ideas how to realize this? Native in VBR i think there is nothing, Veeam One? External monitoring? Script?

Many greetings
Matze

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 12 July 2023, 14:34

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @MatzeB ...yes, Veeam One has a report for this. Forgot the exact report name off hand. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is the report @coolsport00 mentioned:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/reporter/job_configuration_change_tracking.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Looks like it's called Job Configuration Change Report

https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-one-reports.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Awesome! Thanks @haslund 😊

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Another reason to use “file copy job” to get an additional copy of your configuration database.  If there is a rogue actor changing your backup jobs, having more than one copy of your configuration database may prove useful if the job setup is complex.  (3-2-1 rule)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Another reason to use “file copy job” to get an additional copy of your configuration database.  If there is a rogue actor changing your backup jobs, having more than one copy of your configuration database may prove useful if the job setup is complex.  (3-2-1 rule)

Probably start off by enabling MFA on the console, now you are limited to only known employees. If one of them is making unapproved changes that can’t be explained, get rid of their access for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Argh....I even looked shortly in Veeam One before but obviously with the wrong keywords. Thanks for the tip - exactly what I was looking for! For all those interested in how a retention change or encryption password change looks like here is a screenshot.

Thanks!

Matze

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Native in VBR i think there is nothing...

There is: Look at the Windows Event Log on the VBR Server, “Applications and Services Logs / Veeam Backup”, and search for Event ID 23050 (Source “Veeam MP”).

Comment