Question

No logon servers

Userlevel 2

Hi All,

I have restored two servers using veeam backup and replication. Both servers restored successfully but to a different host. However, when I login I get “No logon servers avaialble . . . “ error, I am also unable to login using the local administrator account.

The Network is pointing to the server network on the new host and I don’t see any errors or anything glaringly obvious. 

I had Application-aware processing enabled on one of the restored server jobs but not the other. But I am unable to login to any of them.

I did restore a server last week without any issues and was able to login to the Domain without any issues. 

Can someone offer any advice as I need to move servers off this host and the only way to do this is by Veeam backup. I have no option to migrate via vmotion or directly via the Hosts themselves.

Thanks in anticipation.

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @it_software ,
I assume this is a Windows machine.

Passwords or token for the computer accounts in AD are renewed automatically after a certain amount of time. So it can happen after a restore that you have to rejoin the machine to the domain. This is normal behavior.

But it is very strange that you cannot login with the local admin account. Did you disable the local accounts? Under normal circumstances you can login with the local admin and rejoin the machine to the domain, after that you can login with the domain accounts again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

also, have you tried to login over the local console? Or just rdp?

if you have the server with fixed up address, ensure that the new host where you restored has the same network / vlan available.

you should be able to login to a .\administrator ( or other account) and the rejoin the domain.

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @it_software 

If you try to logon througt VMware console have you same error?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

What’s is the error message when trying to logon locally?

Can you ping the VM’s?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Is one of the servers you're restoring a domain controller?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The logon service is NetLogon and that may not have started possibly but using local Administrator should work.  Then you can check the domain and use the tips provided like rejoining the domain.

Also, if you restored an AD server you need to run DCDIAG and other checks to ensure Active Directory is in a clean state in order to service other logins, etc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

That error typically indicates it is unable to connect to AD. I’m sure you are already aware of that :-) Try to connect using vmware console as what was suggested by Andanet above. There may be some policies preventing you to rdp to the servers. Also your organization may be using LAPS and the local admin password may have changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great points as well @spider32. @it_software, how are you login in locally? The reason for this question is because of the errormessage you are having “No logon servers available". This error means that the restored servers are having trouble communicating with the DC. In this case, this error matches the suggestion by @JMeixner.

Please try the method suggested by @HunterLAFR in order to login using the local administrator account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

How old of a restore point are you restoring from?  I would suspect the machine account password in AD is out of sync, but generally I’d expect that for an older restore point.  As for local login, I don’t really have an answer there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Can you log into the original VM with the administrator account? You mentioned you could log in after a restore last week using a domain account, but you didn’t mention trying the local administrator account. I suspect you are using the wrong password (maybe its not recorded properly, its lost, whatever).

Have you tried doing a ‘Quick Migration’ for the VMs? You can do this if you’re going VMware → VMware.  

Comment