Next Venture - vSphere 8 book possibly

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well today I had a discussion with Packt Publishing about the potential for writing a book on vSphere 8.  So, this will be on top of my current Veeam books and branches into virtualization, mainly vSphere that I also know.

If there is anyone out there that has thought about writing or collaborating on a book reach out to me as I am still debating on doing this one solo.  Even if you have just topics that you would like to see covered would be a great help. 😁

More to come on this possible new adventure.

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That’s awesome @Chris.Childerhose I’d be happy to help where I can. Even if it’s just to proofread any material.

One topic is like to suggest is Security and VMs. A few that come to mind is recommended 
TLS and Cipher settings, VMs and host based TPM, storage encryption.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That’s awesome @Chris.Childerhose I’d be happy to help where I can. Even if it’s just to proofread any material.

One topic is like to suggest is Security and VMs. A few that come to mind is recommended 
TLS and Cipher settings, VMs and host based TPM, storage encryption.

Thanks Dips.  Yeah, this will be a bigger undertaking than the Veeam books but will use any help offered.

I will also add those suggestions to potential chapters for the book.  Thanks for those.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Same here...I’m not sure I’d be a lot of help with writing on the VMware end because that’s a VERY wide topic and I use such a narrow subset of the vSphere world, let alone don’t touch other products such as VSAN, vCloud Foundation, etc. But even with vSphere, I don’t get too far into things like Virtual Distributed Switches, DRS, VM replication, etc.  

Veeam at least narrows it a bit because there’s a lot of subject matter, but it’s not nearly as daunting. 

I do want to note that I’m happy to help contribute and/or proofread where I can though!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Same here...I’m not sure I’d be a lot of help with writing on the VMware end because that’s a VERY wide topic and I use such a narrow subset of the vSphere world, let alone don’t touch other products such as VSAN, vCloud Foundation, etc. But even with vSphere, I don’t get too far into things like Virtual Distributed Switches, DRS, VM replication, etc.  

Veeam at least narrows it a bit because there’s a lot of subject matter, but it’s not nearly as daunting. 

I do want to note that I’m happy to help contribute and/or proofread where I can though!

Thanks Derek.  Yeah, I am still debating this one for sure due to how daunting it will be.  I will take some time to think on it and then let Packt know.  We will see what happens. 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I haven’t responded yet Chris for the same reasons as above. As you all know...I write up a Study Guide for vSphere and that has gotten somewhat outta hand because of all the content. I just looked at my VCP6 Study Guide from 2018. It had 53 pages to it; my 2023 Study Guide?...*180* 😲

Anyway...would for sure like to help. But, with travels beginning and end of Oct, and potentially another surgery in Dec...not sure if I could.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I haven’t responded yet Chris for the same reasons as above. As you all know...I write up a Study Guide for vSphere and that has gotten somewhat outta hand because of all the content. I just looked at my VCP6 Study Guide from 2018. It had 53 pages to it; my 2023 Study Guide?...*180* 😲

Anyway...would for sure like to help. But, with travels beginning and end of Oct, and potentially another surgery in Dec...not sure if I could.

No worries, Shane at all there.  Yeah, I know your study guides have grown over the versions.  I am still thinking on this one and even got Matt Crape’s feedback too.  We will see what direction I take.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I really want to read your book. I dont have skills to help to writ but i would love read !! Im preaty sure the book will be a sucess !

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I really want to read your book. I dont have skills to help to writ but i would love read !! Im preaty sure the book will be a sucess !

If I do decide to go ahead you can read it for sure.  I don’t expect everyone to have the skills to help suggest topics but if there is something you struggle with in your daily administrative duties you would like to see more of then let me know as I can see about a chapter/topic to cover it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

In depth content on updating vSphere. 

-It’s very different now using baselines. 

Distributed switches tend to be a tough spot for many people I find. Especially when things start to get a bit more advanced. (traffic filtering, masks, etc)

VMware networking is a handy to keep network traffic for VM’s to stay internal to the host, or blade chassis. With proper design, it really saves a ton of network traffic and speeds things up.

Command line is another thing people must learn.

I’ve taken the Troubleshooting and Optimize, Scale and Secure courses recently (for 7.3) but can always give input if needed.  These days I just take the courses and don’t bother renewing my VCP every time. I’ve installed 8 in my lab and it seems pretty close to 7 for the most part at least so it’s not going to be too difficult to transition.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In depth content on updating vSphere. 

-It’s very different now using baselines. 

Distributed switches tend to be a tough spot for many people I find. Especially when things start to get a bit more advanced. (traffic filtering, masks, etc)

VMware networking is a handy to keep network traffic for VM’s to stay internal to the host, or blade chassis. With proper design, it really saves a ton of network traffic and speeds things up.

Command line is another thing people must learn.

I’ve taken the Troubleshooting and Optimize, Scale and Secure courses recently (for 7.3) but can always give input if needed.  These days I just take the courses and don’t bother renewing my VCP every time. I’ve installed 8 in my lab and it seems pretty close to 7 for the most part at least so it’s not going to be too difficult to transition.

Thanks for those topics, Scott.  I will note them down for my list and debate on doing the book. 😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Chris.Childerhose It is a great challenge for you. I hope can you can write a good book for vSphere 8.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.ChilderhoseIt is a great challenge for you. I hope can you can write a good book for vSphere 8.

Thanks Victor.  I am going to try my best once I get the details for chapters and what to write about.  😂

Comment