Solved

Newbie, Basic restore from .vbk file

Userlevel 2

Hi All,

Apologies if I am asking in the wrong place, but using VBR V11 Community edition.

I want to simulate a DR event. I have taken a Windows  Agent → Entire computer full backup to a USB Drive.

Now i want to restore just some files from this USB Backup to a new server ( where the same edition VBR is installed.

From the USB Drive on the new server , double clicking on the .VBK file launches Veeam, but my concern is the following window just shows “Restore”. I Don’t want to overwrite the entire server from this backup?

Does “Restore” actually start overwriting files, or does this proceed to show more options  ( and would be better named “Next”, rather than “Restore” ) ??

Many thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 2 August 2023, 15:10

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since you backed up using the ‘Entire Computer’ mode, yes….what this does is just that...restores the entire computer you backed up. What you need to do is select a different Backup Mode → File-level backup, to backup, then restore just individual files. See the User Guide for more details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@supertramp4 - but, you’re using VBR Comm Ed to do the Restore, correct?...not the Veeam Agent? I still think what I shared is accurate, but I’m going to test this myself. Let me install the Comm Ed VBR on a test machine and I’ll let you know.

Userlevel 2

Hi Coolsport00, 

Thanks for helping👍

Yes VBR Comm Edition is installed ( and is completely blank, ie have just installed it)

All I am doing is double clicking on the .VBK file on the USB Drive, which then launches VBR, and this window.

It would seem a bit odd if its not possible from a full backup .VBK file to select specific files ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you have the USB connected to the second VBR server, open the console, go to the Backup section and right-click to select Import.  Then direct to your USB drive to import the backup you created.  You should then be able to restore files from it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok...so yes, you can restore files. When you click on the Restore button in VBR, you’re provided other restore options from a drop-down. See my screenshot here:

So, you’d obviously select the ‘Guest files (Microsoft Windows)’ option. After, you’re provided with a window to choose a Restore Point, if you’ve taken multiple backups, then the VBR Backup Browser window will open.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And BTW...I did as you with regards to my Veeam Agent backup...I selected ‘Entire Computer’ as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ok...so yes, you can restore files. When you click on the Restore button in VBR, you’re provided other restore options from a drop-down. See my screenshot here:

So, you’d obviously select the ‘Guest files (Microsoft Windows)’ option. After, you’re provided with a window to choose a Restore Point, if you’ve taken multiple backups, then the VBR Backup Browser window will open.

Very cool to know this as I don’t deal with Agent backups much.  😋

Userlevel 2

Perfect - Thank you so much.

I wasn’t brave enough to press the button !, but I did do it via Import Backup, so that you can then do it via Restore → agent….  and you get the Backup Browser.

At least I tested this before any DR situation, and now have it nicely documented.

BR

Chris 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Perfect - Thank you so much.

I wasn’t brave enough to press the button !, but I did do it via Import Backup, so that you can then do it via Restore → agent….  and you get the Backup Browser.

At least I tested this before any DR situation, and now have it nicely documented.

BR

Chris 

Glad to hear it worked for you.  Be sure to mark the best answer to your question so those that might have a similar one can see this thread.  😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Awesome. Yeah..whichever way works best for you.

Comment