Moving your blog, alternatives, methods?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on moving my blog. What seemed like a great deal at the time has turned into an expensive auto-renewal at the worst possible time. Luckily I changed my CC so .. 😁 no auto delete $$ this year. What are the alternatives? What do people pay? What is the best method to download my present blog content? Any help would be appreciated.

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Who are you hosting with currently?

It all depends how much grunt you’re going to need, and the flexibility & management demands you’ve got.

For example, Wordpress.com have a free tier, but there are things you can’t control such as using your own domain, and Wordpress can put some adverts on the website. I pay for the cheapest tier and it hits my criteria. I choose to go for a Wordpress hosting package instead of running my own cloud VM etc for this because I don’t want my time that I want to spend blogging, instead focusing on things such as plugin updates and security considerations. I know some people using Krystal Hosting that have had good experience. But all depends on budgets 😊

Once you’ve said who you host with we can look into how to shift your site 🤓 Wordpress.com for example has an export option, and you can get Wordpress plugins to backup your website too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have had a couple web hosting places and now I am on WordPress with my blog.  I pay for the initial tier which is not much and like Michael covers what I need.  Also, with them it is always up to date, so I don’t have to worry about that.  I moved mine from another site but exporting then importing as each one had the facility to do that.

There are also add-ins that can do similar tasks, but I find with WordPress the initial tier does not support add-ons and you need the next level tier to have them, so I just used export/import.

I am always trying to find hosting that has good costs and so far, this one seems to be it at the moment.  Unless I hosted it myself but that is too much work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Assuming wordpress hosting, I have a backup plugin that’s uploading my blog backups to my Wasabi bucket.  My assumption, though I haven’t tested, is that I could in theory restore the backup to a new host and be mostly migrated without much issue, but I haven’t tested the restoration process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Assuming wordpress hosting, I have a backup plugin that’s uploading my blog backups to my Wasabi bucket.  My assumption, though I haven’t tested, is that I could in theory restore the backup to a new host and be mostly migrated without much issue, but I haven’t tested the restoration process.

This was a plugin that I wanted to use for backups but with WordPress you need to be at Tier2 for plugins - basically a business account not the Premium one.  I told them off for that one.  😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I hosted my own site for some time, but keeping up with the patching and security risks were taking up too much time. My domain/site is deprecated for the time being but might look into WordPress or something else hosted going forward. 

I enjoy doing IT at work, but I try not to be “forced” into it on my personal time. Taking courses and learning and tinkering around is a hobby which I enjoy, managing a website and the infrastructure hosting it is not :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I realized I didn’t actually give much content.  The plugin I’m using is Updraft Plus - I’m just using the free version, but there is a pay version that is more feature-filled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Buehost is mine and it is expensive :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’m hosting on Dreamhost on one of their shared starter plans.  I don’t love it...it certainly sleeps or times out the web site pool at times so going to my site fresh after no traffic for a while can take a while for the initial site to load and then it’s responsive after that.  But for what I paid, I guess it’s not too bad. 

I’m glad this conversation started as well….Dreamhost changed some stuff around and in all the rush of things I didn’t read the email and realized that my IP address changed a few weeks ago and I needed to update my DNS since I’m not using Dreamhosts’s DNS servers so my A record’s weren’t updated automatically.  It’s always DNS….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you need to compare sites here is a good link as I might think about moving in the new year - 10 Best Cheap WordPress Hosting Services (Nov 2023 Deals) (codeinwp.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you need to compare sites here is a good link as I might think about moving in the new year - 10 Best Cheap WordPress Hosting Services (Nov 2023 Deals) (codeinwp.com)

Excellent reference.  I was really down between Bluehost and Dreamhost I think, and had I see those load time differences, I may have gone Dreamhost instead.  NameCheap, Hostinger and SiteGround were also in the running but were eliminated for….reasons I guess.  I don’t recall exactly what all of them were.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Excellent reference.  I was really down between Bluehost and Dreamhost I think, and had I see those load time differences, I may have gone Dreamhost instead.  NameCheap, Hostinger and SiteGround were also in the running but were eliminated for….reasons I guess.  I don’t recall exactly what all of them were.  

SiteGround looks pretty appealing to me as it costs less than the other two mentioned, but I am going to evaluate all of them in the new year and see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Here in Spain / Europe, I use Ionos

they’ve gt very cheap plans, and the wordpress is fully managed, so no need to patch S.O. or vps or whatever, Just use it and the plugins and wordpress itself can be setup to automaticaly recieive updates / patches.

They also normally include 1 domain for 1 year complementary and some other stuff.

You can also apply for some discounts after the contract period to renew it.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Here in Italy, you can register domains for free for a year on Register.it, including WordPress hosting if they haven't changed their policy. That's where I registered my blog :)

@dloseke that plugin is much interesting!! I definitely need to try that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, I tested it and another and liked UpDraft the best.  The fact that I can backup to my Wasabi bucket, or various other cloud targets (I think it does things like Dropbox, Box, maybe OneDrive or Google Drive, etc) made it very appealing for me.  Like I said, I’ve never tested restoring from it...which we all know should be done, but it’s very low on my very big list of things to do.

Comment