Question

Moving VM running backup service

Userlevel 2

We are using community edition to backup two VMs. This setup was done by another user, and now we need to move the VM hosting the backup interface to another host.

If I am not wrong, the service is actually running on the underlying host which is Hyperv…. What steps do I have to take to achieve this?

I am confused if the community edition runs at hyperv level or not. Useful to know in case hosts are terminated

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the server hosting VBR Comm Ed is a VM, all you need to do is migrate it over to the new Hyper-V Host, and all should be good. Or, is your VBR server a physical server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the VBR server is a VM, to answer your question, no...all Veeam services are run WITHIN the VM itself; not on the Hyper-V Host.

Userlevel 2

If the server hosting VBR Comm Ed is a VM, all you need to do is migrate it over to the new Hyper-V Host, and all should be good. Or, is your VBR server a physical server?

Hello Shane, Yes the server running VBR Comm Ed is a VM. So no issues in case the underlying host is dismissed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, there should be no issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you use any of those physical virtual hosts as Proxy servers, and you decommission one, you’ll lose Proxy services during backup of VMs, which would resort your backup job to network (nbd) mode. But, your backup jobs should still run. So, I’d check if any of your physical Hyper-V hosts are added as ‘managed servers’ in the VBR console. If so, and you plan to decom the HV host, remove it first from the VBR console.

Userlevel 2

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

you’ll lose Proxy services during backup of VMs, which would resort your backup job to network (nbd) mode. But, your backup jobs should still run.

@coolsport00 
NDB is not involved in this scenario.
NDB is a vSphere backup transport method. But the author of this topic is using HyperV. For HyperV we have On-Host and Off-Host proxies.

Just moving the backup server vm to the other host will most likely not interfere with current backups. You repository server and HyperV host with the production VMs must still be available over the network. Then jobs will work.

If you move your production VMs to the other host, some manual changes maybe necessary. 
Without a HyperV cluster or SCVMM configuration, those production VMs will be recognized as new VMs. Backup jobs must be edited and a new active full backup must be run.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah yes...thanks @Mildur 

Comment