Solved

Monthly Full Backup with Incremental Backup in between

• 21 January 2022
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 2

Hi all,

I am trying to create a Monthly Full Backup with Incremental Backups in between. 

In the ‘Advanced’ section, so far, I have created a Backup Job with ‘Incremental’ option selected. I have also enabled ‘Active full backup’ which will run on the last Friday on Monthly basis. 

In the ‘Schedule’ section, I have selected the ‘Run the job automatically’ with condition that it will run at 10 pm of the last Friday, every Month.

So, the question is have a configured it correctly ?

Thanks,

Abhi

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 21 January 2022, 17:24

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You have configured you job in this way, if I interpret your description correct.

This configuration will work. But you will have a backup chain of 30 days. This means old backup will be deleted when a complete chain is out of the retention time. In your case this will be after 60 days (or 62 days if it is July and August).

Consider checking the “Create synthetic full backups periodically” checkbox. This will create a synthetic full each week and your chains are one week long only….

With this you could even check if you need an active full backup each month...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You have configured you job in this way, if I interpret your description correct.

This configuration will work. But you will have a backup chain of 30 days. This means old backup will be deleted when a complete chain is out of the retention time. In your case this will be after 60 days (or 62 days if it is July and August).

Consider checking the “Create synthetic full backups periodically” checkbox. This will create a synthetic full each week and your chains are one week long only….

With this you could even check if you need an active full backup each month...

Further to this suggestion the schedule you need to run Daily - the selection you have now will only run the last Friday of the month so no point in having the incrementals which should be Daily.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you sure about this, Chris?

As far as I know the two methods are running side by side…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you sure about this, Chris?

As far as I know the two methods are running side by side…..

Yes because if you look at what was indicated for the schedule above it was -

“In the ‘Schedule’ section, I have selected the ‘Run the job automatically’ with condition that it will run at 10 pm of the last Friday, every Month.”

To me this means run the last Friday of every month at 10PM.  What about all the days in between? :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

OK, I agree, if the schedule is set like this, then the job runs once a month only.

You have the set it to run daily, otherwise the incrementals will never be done….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

OK, I agree, if the schedule is set like this, then the job runs once a month only.

You have the set it to run daily, otherwise the incrementals will never be done….

Yep that is what I was pointing out not so much the backup type configuration. :smiley:   But it would be good to have the Synthetic as you mentioned.

Userlevel 2

Dear all,

Thanks for your contributions, I will have a synthetic full back and I will schedule it to run daily and see how it goes :)

Kind regards,

Abhi

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Here’s some talk about active full vs syntethic:

Comment