Solved

Migrating Veeam to workstation?

Userlevel 1

We’ve been running VBR on a 2012 R2 server for a long time but it’s time to get off of 2012.

Is there a reason to keep running Veeam on a server? We’ve grown over the years and I have started putting VBR on Windows 10 workstations for remote offices and that has worked well.

Do we need need to keep VBR on a server or is it save to migrate this over to a workstation?

Interested in hearing why?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 28 July 2023, 15:51

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @jphipps - about the only benefit to using a server vs workstation is resource density, meaning you can get way more CPU/RAM density on servers vs workstations. 

The User Guide Sys Req’s shows full support for it being on Workstations, and I’ve seen many share they use them like what you plan on doing, with no issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Maybe others can share why you shouldn’t use Workstation OS other than what I shared, but I can’t think of any other reasons myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Veeam will work on a workstation, however you need to consider the context and how it’s interpreted by Microsoft’s EULA which forbids the use of using Windows desktop OS builds as servers.

See:

New Page (microsoft.com)

Specifically 2.c.v: “use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;”

I’m not a lawyer, nor certified in Microsoft’s licensing, but people have been found in violation of the EULA for doing stuff like this during Microsoft licensing audits, and made to license the devices as servers + financial penalties.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I cannot think of anything to add to what Shane said.  So, it is up to you on how you want to proceed.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Comment