Solved

M365 backups - transport

Userlevel 2

Hi, quick question. 

We are moving to M365 for email. Our Veeam infrastructure will remain on-premise. Per Veeam literature, says that I can backup my 365 mailboxes to any location, inclusive of on-premises. 

If we backup our 365 mbxs back down to our local infrastructure, will there be any egress bandwidth costs assessed by Microsoft? So if I have 1TB database now on-prem, and we move that to M365, for that very first backup, should I expect Microsoft to assess some bandwidth costs for that 1TB pull? Moreover, for any subsequent backups where presumably only deltas from the prior are processed, will I see transport costs there too?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 31 October 2022, 17:48

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

More than likely, you will have egress costs along with throttling as well unless you disable that for the first backups which is recommended since the initial backup takes much longer.

This page explains the Veeam costs - Backup Office 365 data with Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365

For the MS costs that can be found on their site.  Be sure to research and check everything out so you are aware of the costs overall.

Userlevel 2

Thank you. I looked on Microsoft’s site but I only saw costs for Azure and not 365. I assumed the latter would have been covered by the former, but even still that page wasn’t very clear either on bandwidth costs. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/bandwidth/

The references are costs between availability zones and different regions. I wasn’t sure if my pulling down content for these V backups would have been covered by the Intra Region section or not. So unless my Google-hunting skills are so poor that I can’t find the 365 bandwidth calculator, I’ll run with the fact that the costs should be in the range of pennies per GB, per month.

But I got what I’m looking for; that is, a confirmation that there will be costs for transport. Thank you for this. Have a good day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

To add to @Chris.Childerhose post, you could also try a test and see what the costs come out to so as to get a better idea of what your cost estimates would be. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

If we backup our 365 mbxs back down to our local infrastructure, will there be any egress bandwidth costs assessed by Microsoft?

@veeam_dude

No, there are zero egress costs for doing backups of:

• Mailbox / Mailbox Archive
  • OneDrive
  • Sharepoint
  • Teams Files, Settings

You only have to pay egress costs for Teams Messages if you use the new protected Teams API.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/teams-licenses

Thanks

Fabian

Userlevel 2

Thank you. I’m new to this Veeam forum. I marked one answer as best answer and your post doesn’t allow me to mark as an answer but only to do a “thumbs up” LIKE button. I don’t know how to directly reply to you so all I can do is to add a comment here. I guess I need a primer on Veeam forum posting.

Until then, hopefully this will suffice. Mildur/Fabian, thank you. I appreciate your answer. Zero cost is always a good thing. Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you. I’m new to this Veeam forum. I marked one answer as best answer and your post doesn’t allow me to mark as an answer but only to do a “thumbs up” LIKE button. I don’t know how to directly reply to you so all I can do is to add a comment here. I guess I need a primer on Veeam forum posting.

Until then, hopefully this will suffice. Mildur/Fabian, thank you. I appreciate your answer. Zero cost is always a good thing. Thanks again.

I’ll tag @Madi.Cristil , our Community Manager who may be able to update the best answer. Welcome to the Community @veeam_dude 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’ll tag @Madi.Cristil , our Community Manager who may be able to update the best answer. Welcome to the Community @veeam_dude 

Thank you, @dips !😊

Comment