Solved

license question - can use SMB share hosted in cloud as backup repository

• 3 November 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello, at my home lab, i have a home server running VBAR community edition with the BR(Backup Repository) on the same windows server.

I have a storagebox account with hetzner, which allows smb over internet.
I have created a BR using that smb share and it works great.

Not sure if I am violating the community license?

and that bring up another issue, I could rent a cheap vm from hetzner and install a linux hardened repository?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 3 November 2023, 17:21

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

I’m not aware of any licensing issues with using SMB over the internet.

Technically, I have concerns on using that protocol publicly, so I hope your backups are encrypted via Veeam and you’ve got ACLs locking down access to the share etc.

Linux Hardened Repo makes a lot more sense and utilising the XFS file system could result in more storage efficient backups.

If you’re going to use any protocol over the WAN, utilise S3/S3 Compatible/Azure Blob unless you’ve got a gateway server at the remote site of the WAN to at least talk SMB/NFS locally 😊

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

“Technically, I have concerns on using that protocol publicly”
me too, running smb over internet is not viable but trying to learn/push VBAR community edition and work on my other tech skills.
Just want to be sure I was in compliance.

“utilise S3/S3 Compatible”
I tried to create a BR using Wasabi, but that failed, need enterprise license.
Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, that is correct you would need a VUL or socket-based enterprise edition license for object storage as a repository.

If this isn’t a production/commercial environment and you’re instead just trying to learn more about Veeam, check out their awesome NFR program: Unlock Veeam's Free Not For Resale (NFR) License | Veeam if you’re eligible to get a free license key for home lab/testing use that gives you more features, that helps you to utilise the functionality you want to play with: Object storage 😊

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

“awesome NFR program” - yes, it is awesome and at some point I might try it.

But for now, i am trying to push community edition and see what can be done, trying to workaround not being able to backup to cloud and work on my linux skills.

Comment