Solved

Issue with SMTP Notification Emails After Update to Version 12

• 20 September 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Veeam Community,

I hope this finds you well. I've encountered an issue after updating to Veeam Version 12 and was hoping someone might have come across a similar problem or can provide some guidance.

**Problem Description:** After the update, I am unable to send notification emails. I consistently receive the error message: "Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings." I am certain of my credentials, having double-checked multiple times.

Steps Taken:

1. I've tried all configuration variants using both ports 587 and 465.
2. When using port 465, I am able to apply the settings, but an error then displays.
3. With port 587, the error surfaces after sending the test message.

**Mail Server Error Logs:** From the logs, the following sections raised concerns:

* `SASL login authentication failed`
* `TLS library problem: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate`

The error regarding the TLS library is particularly concerning. Here are the relevant snippets from the error logs:
20.09.2023, 22:22:00    info    Anonymous TLS connection established from ppp-77-76-228-145.dynamic.uplink.de[77.76.228.145]...
20.09.2023, 22:21:59    warning    warning: TLS library problem: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate...

It appears there's a problem with the certificate during the TLS handshake.

Seeking Help:

1. Has anyone faced a similar issue after updating to Version 12?
2. Are there any known fixes or workarounds related to the TLS library problem mentioned in the logs?
3. Any suggestions regarding the SMTP configurations that could potentially rectify this?

Your insights and suggestions will be highly valuable, and I truly appreciate any help provided. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Warm regards, Paul

icon

Best answer by Andanet 21 September 2023, 16:32

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This could potentially be the TLS changes in some Windows security patches where they are starting to turn off the older versions.  Might want to start there - sorry not able to post anything at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I was having a problem with 1 of my servers early on. I just tested both → I have 2, but newly built; 1 I did a DB migration and the other greenfield build...and they both now work. So, not sure. 

What email software do you use? M365? Local Exchange? Other? If possible, I would look at logs on your VBR server, like Application logs to see if anything further stands out. 

So, you just upgraded from 11 > 12? You didn’t build up a new server and DB migrate, correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Oxidation9992 

if you use GMAIL SMTP server please check this KB https://www.veeam.com/kb1974

and refer your configuration from this documentation paragraph
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/general_email_notifications.html?ver=120

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was having a problem with 1 of my servers early on. I just tested both → I have 2, but newly built; 1 I did a DB migration and the other greenfield build...and they both now work. So, not sure. 

What email software do you use? M365? Local Exchange? Other? If possible, I would look at logs on your VBR server, like Application logs to see if anything further stands out. 

So, you just upgraded from 11 > 12? You didn’t build up a new server and DB migrate, correct?

To address your inquiries:

1. I upgraded directly from version 11 to 12, without setting up a new server or doing a DB migration.
  2. As for the email software, I'm using basic authentication with my own mailcow server.

I'll also be checking the application logs to see if there are any relevant details that might shed light on the situation. I'll keep you posted if I find anything noteworthy.

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dear Veeam Community,

I wanted to provide an update regarding the issue I previously reported. After extensive troubleshooting and considering the insights shared here, especially the potential TLS handshake problem, I decided to migrate to Microsoft 365 for mail delivery.

Since the migration, I haven't encountered any email notification issues with Veeam. It appears that the TLS library problem was indeed at the root of the challenge I faced with my prior setup. Further analysis led me to believe that the problem might have originated from the mailcow server. I suggest others using the same setup to carefully evaluate their TLS configurations and ensure compatibility with Veeam's requirements.

I want to extend my deepest gratitude to everyone who took the time to offer insights, advice, and potential solutions. Should anyone else encounter a similar problem, I'd recommend considering a migration or a thorough review of the TLS configurations, especially if using mailcow, as potential routes to resolution.

Thank you once again, and best wishes to all!

Warm regards, Paul

Comment