Skip to main content
Question

Issue with Bare Metal Recovery

Hello,

I am trying to do a bare metal recovery of a physical windows server 2019.

First, I have created a recovery media from the agent backup, then mounted that .iso on the Dell Idrac9 and tried to boot form virtual CD/DVD/ISO, but it’s getting stuck at the windows logo screen.

I have also tried to boot from the same iso on a VM just to test. This time, it worked, the veeam console came up and  I got all the options for restoration. But on the physical server, it’s not working.

Please let me know where I am going wrong. I have attached the screenshot of the stuck screen.

Thank you.

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Please check the steps here for recovery - How to Perform Bare Metal Recovery - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @sghosh -

I assume you modified the boot order to boot to the “drive” the recovery media is attached? If so, and are still getting the Windows logo, what you may need to do is inject drivers for that server into your boot media.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/recovery_media_drivers.html?ver=60

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@sghosh Try to change from legacy to UEFI boot ,

Try disable secure boot if enabled.

Userlevel 4

Hello @coolsport00 ,

Yes, I have modified the boot order to boot from the recovery media. 

I am not getting any option for “Include the following additional storage and network hardware drivers” while creating the recovery media.

I have attached the screenshot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

what version of agent windows are you using

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hello @coolsport00 ,

Yes, I have modified the boot order to boot from the recovery media. 

I am not getting any option for “Include the following additional storage and network hardware drivers” while creating the recovery media.

I have attached the screenshot.

Hm...yeah, you should have a whole slew of options listed there. As Link suggests...are you running the latest Veeam Agent?

Userlevel 4

Hello @Link State,

I have tried with both BIOS and UEFI boot, Secure boot is also disabled.

The agent version is 6.1.2.134

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hello @Link State,

I have tried with both BIOS and UEFI boot, Secure boot is also disabled.

The agent version is 6.1.2.134

That seems odd that when you create an image you don’t get the options with the latest agent release.  This is what I see.  Maybe run a repair of the Agent?

Userlevel 4

Just to clarify I am creating the recovery media from Veeam B&R and it’s 12.1.2.172.

That’s where I am supposed to create the media, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Just to clarify I am creating the recovery media from Veeam B&R and it’s 12.1.2.172.

That’s where I am supposed to create the media, right?

No from the Veeam Agent software installed on the Win2019 box if you are using the agent to back it up.  That is where my screenshot is from.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Try to create the recovery media on the server, I suspect your screenshot is from the VBR server, that’s why there are no driver injection options.

You can find the media creation wizard here on the Agent computer:

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.Endpoint.RecoveryMedia.exe

Userlevel 4

@Chris.Childerhose 

But that system has crashed and I am trying to restore it. 

And we set up the backup from Veeam B&R for that Win2019 machine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Chris.Childerhose

But that system has crashed and I am trying to restore it. 

And we set up the backup from Veeam B&R for that Win2019 machine.

Ok.  Do you have the agent installed on any other Win2019 server?  You could run the media creation wizard from there to create the required boot media ISO.

Userlevel 4

yes, I have other 2019 server with the agent installed. Running the recovery media now from there and I have got all the options now.

One question, I can uncheck the “Include network connections settings from this computer” box, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

yes, I have other 2019 server with the agent installed. Running the recovery media now from there and I have got all the options now.

One question, I can uncheck the “Include network connections settings from this computer” box, right?

Yes you can uncheck that option.

Userlevel 4

It did not work. Still getting stuck. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Please open a support ticket at this point to have Veeam help troubleshoot the issue.  There is no other suggestions that I can think of off the top of my head to address this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ugh...sorry you’re still having issues. Keep us posted what Support says.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@sghosh Were you able to get this figured out with support?  Curious what the resolution was...

Comment