Question

Is upgrading from 9.5 still possible?

Userlevel 1

Hey guys,  i run a small server in a NGO, our Veeam is still in version 9.0 without support since 2019. I’ve recently run into a backup problem, and our support IT company, told me that i should get a newer version of Veeam, and install in a new  VM(5th).

I asked if it was possible to upgrade, which they said, no, and now Veeam only does subscriptions, and proceeded to give me a budget for 3 year.

From what i read perpetual is still available, just more expensive than subscriptions, but what about upgrading? Could i not install 9.5 on a new VM, renew and upgrade up to 12? 

What do you think?

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You have to upgrade to V10a first. For this you have to download new versions of your license files from the Veeam Website.

When your system is running with Veeam V10a you can upgrade to V12. For this no new license file versions are necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Try this form for a renewal quote from Veeam: https://www.veeam.com/renewal.html?ad=in-text-link

Basically, when a perpetual support license expires, there’s a reinstatement fee after a period of time, so it might be cheaper to discard your socket licenses for VUL ones. VUL (Veeam Universal License) is Veeam’s instance based licensing as opposed to socket-based and gives the advantage of being agnostic across VMs, Agents, NAS, and Public Cloud workloads. This can still be acquired via a perpetual manner instead of subscription if preferred.

As for the upgrade path, Jochen has answered that 🙂

Userlevel 1

i´ve talked with Veeam, and they said that since my contract has expired more that 1 year ago, renewal is not an option. 

In any case, thanks for the help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If renewal is not an option, I’d recommend purchasing a new VUL subscription and then setup a new v10a server and migrating the configuration database and backup data from your 9.5 deployment to the new v10a deployment.  After that you should be able to upgrade to v12.

Comment