Solved

Is anybody out there using a VBR with a Postgres Configuration DB to backup & restore TDE encrypted SQL Server DB(s)?

• 29 November 2023
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 1

All our TDE encrypted DB(s) are in 'Simple Recovery' mode. Hence there's no 'Point-In-Time' recovery needed.
We simply restore a DB from daily backups. Our VBR server is configured as our Veeam gateway server.
We'd like to switch to Postgres to save $ on licensing.

If you are currently doing this successfully then please let me know your VBR version & Postgres version.

Thank You!
Kevin

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 30 November 2023, 19:41

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Kevin - I don’t think I fully understand your question. VBR just started using PostgreSQL in v12 for its Config DB. The VBR Config DB has nothing to do with what Backup Jobs are doing as far as restores go for SQL or otherwise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @coolsport00, I think he also wants to migrate the Veeam Backup & Replication Configuration Database to PostgreSQL due to cost. @Kevin516, if this is what you want, kindly take a look at this guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/vbr_config_migrate_to_postgresql.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Iams3le ....thanks..I kinda thought that too, but didn’t want to assume, thus asking for more info 😊 If that is the case @Kevin516 , I migrated one of my Veeam servers from SQL to PostgreSQL a few mos ago with no issues. And, I used the Guide, the link Christian posted, as my reference. Veeam did a good job of making a SQL > PostgreSQL migration pretty seamless overall.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Kevin, are you referring to restoring those TDE databases?

It won’t matter whether your config database is using PSQL or MSSQL beyond what you use as the staging server when using Veeam explorer for MS SQL. You likely either set the staging server to one that had the DEK such as the production SQL server, or added the DEK to your Veeam configuration database instance’s SQL installation.

This behaviour won’t change, you still need a SQL server instance to use as a staging server with the database encryption key installed to it. That staging server doesn’t need to be Veeam’s, it can be any that has the same feature set functionality as your production instance, if you’re consuming edition specific features (can’t restore a DB larger than 10GB via a sql express staging server fie example)

A lot of useful info around this topic is on this KB article: https://www.veeam.com/kb2006

Userlevel 1

Thank You for your reply MicoolPaul.  In my env all the SQL Server DB(s) are in ‘Simple’ Recovery mode. Hence no P-I-T recovery, hence no staging DB(s).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Then unless you need to do a data export, yep you don’t need a staging DB, so in summary, you shouldn’t need to have any worries Postgres VS SQL Server

Userlevel 1

I notice under ‘Limitations’  (Migrating Configuration Database to PostgreSQL Server) which states: 

• You can migrate the configuration database created only in Veeam Backup & Replication 12.

I initially created my VBR Config DB in v11 & do plan to upgrade VBR to 12.1 

However it still won’t strictly meet that limitation & wonder IF that will become an issue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Kevin516 i recall someone from Veeam telling me they preferred greenfield deployments currently rather than existing deployments but it is supported as written in an official Veeam blog post: https://www.veeam.com/blog/switch-sql-server-postgresql-veeam.html

Userlevel 1

Hi @coolsport00 

Are you able to restore TDE encrypted SQL Server DB(s) using the VBR that migrated from using a SQL Server Config DB to a Postgres DB ? 

Comment