Solved

Integrate seeded agent backups into one job

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 7 comments

Hi all!

I’m engaged in a project where we have to backup several physical servers with agents via WAN with very small bandwidth.

I prepared a portable server with local disks to collect the first full backups within the ROBO locations’ LAN.

Back in the central datacenter I would like to use that as a seed for future incremental backups. I’m aware of the basic procedure for that (copy VBKs, rescan repo, map job).

But in the end I would like to have only one agent backup job for all servers; though the mapping option lets me only choose one job to map to thus loosing the previous chains.

Any options I am missing or not possible?

Thanks for any input!

Tim

icon

Best answer by dips 27 January 2022, 10:46

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

As I know Veeam server will only see a single backup job from each agent separately.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

As I know Veeam server will only see a single backup job from each agent separately.

nope, one agent job can contain more objects such as several individual computers or protection groups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

nope, one agent job can contain more objects such as several individual computers or protection groups.

Yes what you say is true, but idk if I understand question correctly, you can’t have only one agent backup job for all servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi all!

I’m engaged in a project where we have to backup several physical servers with agents via WAN with very small bandwidth.

I prepared a portable server with local disks to collect the first full backups within the ROBO locations’ LAN.

Back in the central datacenter I would like to use that as a seed for future incremental backups. I’m aware of the basic procedure for that (copy VBKs, rescan repo, map job).

But in the end I would like to have only one agent backup job for all servers; though the mapping option lets me only choose one job to map to thus loosing the previous chains.

Any options I am missing or not possible?

Thanks for any input!

Tim

As far as I am aware, Veeam only allows one mapping to a backup chain per backup job if I understand your question correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I also think it’s not possible to map multiple backups (from different jobs) to a single job. I also remember that mapping agent backups itself wasn’t that easy as there are some requirements and limitations. If you want to be sure, then I think it’s best to contact support, or if you’re a partner, your local System Engineer, before the acctual deployment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I also think it’s not possible to map multiple backups (from different jobs) to a single job. I also remember that mapping agent backups itself wasn’t that easy as there are some requirements and limitations. If you want to be sure, then I think it’s best to contact support, or if you’re a partner, your local System Engineer, before the acctual deployment.

Or just wait for a @Mildur confirm. :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I guess you’re right and thats what I suspected. Just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Thanks All for your input.

Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am wondering if we can use some “ninja” tricks to make this happen :sunglasses:

How many physical servers are we talking about here?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I am wondering if we can use some “ninja” tricks to make this happen :sunglasses:

About 20.

Ninja tricks sounds good!

Maybe edit the vbm-files? Seems to me like its “only” a matter of meta data since the backups itself are there.

Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Can’t wait for the magic! :drooling_face:

Do you wanna use some custom-writed script?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have to agree with this as you cannot basically “merge” backups together.  The Agents would have needed to be in one job from the get go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sorry to come back with another question @TimK, you are looking to add individual computers to a single job, right? or did you want to use a single protection group and then add the single protection group to a single agent backup job?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Sorry to come back with another question @TimK, you are looking to add individual computers to a single job, right? or did you want to use a single protection group and then add the single protection group to a single agent backup job?

Yes, individual computers to a single Job. One by one after they have been pre seeded.

Though they all exist in a single protection group as well but that doesnt neccesarily have to be the case.

Current state ist that I have one job with 7 computers working fine and a seperate job with two computers working fine. Goal is to have them all in one job.

Comment