Solved

Immutable Backup on Linux Hardened Repository

Show first post

35 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry the last picture is from a Computer that actually not finished backing up.

I have now a successful backup from a smaler one. It looks like it worked. I cant delete it from Veeam Disk. Also have the “i” in the repository.

I have still ssh activated, due to set up. Does this affect somehow if i disable the ssh, i think its recommendet to deactivate ssh if all is set up?

Correct disable SSH as soon as you can 🙂 will not impact this

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Do I see it right? Now it worked? 

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 3

It seems so. I’m just startet another backup with a small computer to see the result.

You can may help me with two other questions:

• We now dont have the server directly on the core switch. Just had a LAN cable with internet. The Backup process seems to be very slowly, will this be better if the linux server is on the core switch?
  • I have used the single use credentials for adding the server to veeam. Can i use the same user for another veeam instance we have in use with a vpn? I have tried this and it failed, also the first Added Server was unavailable after wards.
Userlevel 3

So the Backup finished successfully thanks for your prompt help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

So the Backup finished successfully thanks for your prompt help!

Did you change anything to make it work now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It seems so. I’m just startet another backup with a small computer to see the result.

• We now dont have the server directly on the core switch. Just had a LAN cable with internet. The Backup process seems to be very slowly, will this be better if the linux server is on the core switch?
  • I have used the single use credentials for adding the server to veeam. Can i use the same user for another veeam instance we have in use with a vpn? I have tried this and it failed, also the first Added Server was unavailable after wards.

Not quite sure I understand your questions right. But:

• In my experience network is not probably the bottleneck when it comes to Linux repository. So the faster the network the faster the backup will be.
  • I already added a Hardened Repo server to a second VBR server which worked fine. Just a guess: did you change anything in SSH-settings when adding to a second server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

• In my experience network is not probably the bottleneck when it comes to Linux repository. So the faster the network the faster the backup will be.
  • I already added a Hardened Repo server to a second VBR server which worked fine. Just a guess: did you change anything in SSH-settings when adding to a second server?

Interesting you say that @vNote42 as it’s a listed limitation for the hardened repository that it can’t be shared between different VBR servers

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Interesting you say that @vNote42 as it’s a listed limitation for the hardened repository that it can’t be shared between different VBR servers

must admit you are right :thinking: at least it worked in the first instance. I will check the current state.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Interesting you say that @vNote42 as it’s a listed limitation for the hardened repository that it can’t be shared between different VBR servers

must admit you are right :thinking: at least it worked in the first instance. I will check the current state.

Just checked with the customer. What still works fine: Linux Hardened Repo server was added to two different VBR servers. For adding, single-use credential was used on both VBR instances. Also same user was used. Since then - a few weeks ago, customer had no problems with both VBR server using Hardened Repo Server as target. Maybe the important fact is here: different repositories are used for each VBR server. So it is the same server, but different XFS-volumes. In the helpcenter the first limitation is to read (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/hardened_repository_limitations.html?ver=110):

The hardened repository cannot be shared between different Veeam Backup & Replication servers.

Literally speaking, this configuration does not violate.

Comment