Solved

I cannot read tape after ejecting it from the drive using the Eject option

Userlevel 4

Hi team:

I have a question: it turns out that I was going to read a tape in Veeam, I took out the previous one (tape3 that's what it's called), it came out without problems and I put the other one in (tape2). When it read the device, Veeam recognized the tape but with the same information as the previous one (tape3). When I took it out with Eject it came out without problems and when I put it back in it didn't read it as Idle or Free.

What could have happened to make him behave that way? I played the tape I had at the beginning (tape3) and it reads it without incident.

Regards,

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 15 January 2024, 22:27

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did you run an inventory or catalog of the tape once you put it back in (Tape2)?  It should be recognized but an easy way to update Veeam is running this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello @jmaticurena 

Welcome to the community. As @Chris.Childerhose mentioned, you need to inventory the tape. 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/inventoring_tapes.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you eject the tape via the button at the drive or with the eject or export function in Veeam?

Userlevel 4

I explain: the tape that was on was removed with the drive button, when the other tape was inserted and it read the content of the previous tape, it was removed with the Veeam Eject.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I explain: the tape that was on was removed with the drive button, when the other tape was inserted and it read the content of the previous tape, it was removed with the Veeam Eject.

Did you inventory the tape like I mentioned once it was put in?  You may need to do that to accomplish your task.

Userlevel 4

After removing the tape, he put it back in and ran the inventory and it didn't recognize it, in fact he put in the tape that was there before and he did read it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

After removing the tape, he put it back in and ran the inventory and it didn't recognize it, in fact he put in the tape that was there before and he did read it.

Well, if you need data off the tape then I suggest opening a Support case at this point.  If the tape has Veeam data on it then they will be able to check the logs, etc. to determine how to address it.

Userlevel 4

Update: today, after removing the tape that it didn't read, turning off the tape drive, turning it on and putting the tape back in, VBR recognized it and went online.

Could it be something in the unit? Well, neither the Veeam server nor the server where the tape drive is connected was ever turned off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Update: today, after removing the tape that it didn't read, turning off the tape drive, turning it on and putting the tape back in, VBR recognized it and went online.

Could it be something in the unit? Well, neither the Veeam server nor the server where the tape drive is connected was ever turned off.

Could be a problem with the tape unit possibly.  If you can run any utilities on it to test it, I would and replace if necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @jmaticurena -

I just wanted to follow up on your tape issue. It appers from your lost comment you may have resolved your tape recognition issue? If so, or if you feel another of the comments above helped you, could you select one as a ‘Best Answer’ to benefit others who may come across your post who are experiencing the same tape issue?

Thank you.

Comment