Question

Hyper-V VM - Windows 2012 R2 Cluster

Userlevel 4

Hello everybody,
to backup the 2VM with a File Sevrer Role on Windows 2012 R2, is better agent less or with agent?

I have a Job for Backup Hyper-V VM, ca i backup every VM with this? File Sever - Exchange? SQL? Or better save this with agent?

Thanks a lot

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can do either one of those options and depending on the license you have too. But both will work just depends on how you want your topology to look.

Userlevel 4

my topology is a 3 hci cluster with hyper-v……..better agent less? Now a have the trial licence after the Enterprise Advanced with veean-one.
Another question…….the sql better with agent? right? not only agent less……...difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @alfred.lerch 

For file server, both will work, however I prefer agentless backup for less backup window. The same license will work for the both methods, but if you are going to do NAS share backup or files to Tape it will required 1 license for each 500GB. 

The difference between backup Files server with agentless backup or agent and NAS backup engine it huge, because NAS engine aware of permissions, files versions and so on.

For Exchange and SQL both also works, however I prefer agentless backup and application aware must be enabled. But keep in mind the following:

DAG nodes should be in the same backup job, and preferred to backup the passive nodes.

SQL failover cluster must be backed up via agent with specific procedures, please check the kb below:

https://www.veeam.com/kb2463

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

my topology is a 3 hci cluster with hyper-v……..better agent less? Now a have the trial licence after the Enterprise Advanced with veean-one.
Another question…….the sql better with agent? right? not only agent less……...difference?

You can go agentless yes and same for SQL as VBR will do application aware backups. It is all dependent how you want things configured as you can install the agent from the Veeam console for MGMT as well.

Comment