Skip to main content
Solved

How to configure proxies for two way DR?

I am trying to understand how to deploy Veeam Backup and Replication in 2 DC’s hosting with VMware Virtual Infra in an active-active environment. Scenario VMs being replicated from DC1 → DC2 and DC2 → DC1 both requiring near-zero and CDP. Number of replicated VMs in each DC is between 20-30 and data size is 6-10TB with average change rate.

My thoughts:

1. Deploy a VBR + Backup repo instance in each DC.
  2. Deploy backup proxy each in DC1 and DC2. This pair will be managed by the VBR in DC2 and used for near-zero replication
  3. Deploy backup proxy each in DC1 and DC2. This pair will be managed by the VBR in DC2 and used for CDP
  4. Deploy backup proxy each in DC1 and DC2. This pair will be managed by the VBR in DC1 and used for near-zero replication
  5. Deploy backup proxy each in DC1 and DC2. This pair will be managed by the VBR in DC1 and used for CDP

Kindly provide your comments or suggestions. The Veeam documentation for a two way DR are not very clear. Can someone also provide links to any clear documentation around such scenarios?

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @sudhir_h -

I think your logic in how you’re wanting to deploy Veeam is valid. I can’t think of anything off hand that’s “off” in how you’re wanting to set up your environment. I do somewhat the same thing, but instead of bi-directional Replication, I only do it 1-way (DC1 → DR) because I don’t have active VMs in my DR site. And, I don’t require CDP or near-zero replication, so standard Replication from a few hrs retention to daily is fine for me. I have Proxies in each site as well.

I like you’re wanting to have dedicated Proxies each for your CDP and near-zero Replication. I would do the same. In this way you know explicitly which Veeam Component is responsible for which (Replication) task.

I guess 1 thing to keep in mind though...Replication jobs do not go to Repositories; rather, they go to virtual infrastructure (in your case, VMware) Datastores. Also, Restore Points are actual VM snapshots as well. And, you get limited retention of 28 snapshots (Restore Points) due to vSphere snapshot limitations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you plan to use CDP then you need a Proxy in the primary and DR sites but the caveat is if the VMs are on separate hosts then a CDP proxy per host is required.  If you have the VMs to replicate pinned to a host then pin the proxy for CDP to the same host. I tested this in my homelab for my book.  😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Wasn’t aware of the per-Host requirement @Chris.Childerhose . Good share! Think I need to play with CDP more 😉

Userlevel 3

Thank you @coolsport00

@Chris.Childerhose Is this a Veeam documentation miss? I did not find this documented under CDP requirements and limitations  https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/cdp_requirements.html?ver=120 .

My design require multiple proxies to be deployed. Can i re-use the same proxy for replications from DC1 → DC2 and DC2 → DC1? Is there a Veeam provided proxy appliance that can be used to save OS licenses ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@sudhir_h No problem. Also, Veeam doesn’t provide an appliance or pre-configured Proxy for use, sadly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thank you @coolsport00

@Chris.Childerhose Is this a Veeam documentation miss? I did not find this documented under CDP requirements and limitations  https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/cdp_requirements.html?ver=120 .

My design require multiple proxies to be deployed. Can i re-use the same proxy for replications from DC1 → DC2 and DC2 → DC1? Is there a Veeam provided proxy appliance that can be used to save OS licenses ? 

Yes that part is somewhat lacking in the documentation but was something I found out when playing with CDP.  The best way is to deploy CDP with one per host in the cluster using VM/Host rules.  This way you have a proxy on every host and don’t have to worry.

There is no appliance unfortunately but you can use a Linux machine if you are worried about Windows licenses as CDP Proxy just deploy one then you could clone it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I was previously using CDP on Windows proxy’s and it worked great.  Eventually I changed to using Ubuntu 22.04 as my proxy’s and they too have worked great.  I wasn’t aware of the CDP proxy per host, but I already have one proxy per host for standard snapshot replication, and I have one CDP proxy at each end as I’m only replicating 2 VM’s via CDP and pinning to a single host is fine at this time.  Good to know though.  There’s no appliance, but honestly, I haven’t needed an appliance as my Ubuntu VM’s have been working great.

Comment