Question

How to Backup Server from Hetzner via VBR

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello,

I have a problem with configuring the Backup Job.
We have one server hosted on Hetzner and I need to backup it just once and restore it.

I don’t know what could be the prerequisites for this, do I need to expose our VBR ports to the Hetzner?
Currently I manage to create protection group, added Hetzner server without any problems, rescaning is working, but when I try to create a backup job using Veeam agent it fails with the following error message:
3/4/2024 14:03:40 :: Failed to send backup job configuration to X Error: Failed to update backup job 

Managed by agent job name: Agent Backup Policy 3.
Invalid job configuration.
Connection problems.
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Failed to establish connection: no valid IP addresses were found.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond VBR IP Addres:10005

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What OS do you have on this @NemanjaJanicic ?? Did you verify supportability in the Agent Guide?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

What OS do you have on this @NemanjaJanicic ?? Did you verify supportability in the Agent Guide?

Hi @coolsport00,

Yes, Hetzner Server is Windows Server 2019.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello,

The server must be able to communicate with the VBR server.
CHeck all the ports requirements here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/ports.html?ver=60

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok great. Well, the meat of your error is:
Failed to send backup job configuration to X Error

I found a couple Forum posts where the Veeam PMs suggest Firewall issues and/or DNS. So, to answer your question about opening ports...yes, some ports do need open. At the very least, you can test for success by disabling Win f/w temporarily to see if it works.

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/window-agent-policy-failed-t75505.html

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/sending-backup-job-configuration-to-windows-agent-fails-cannot-connect-t61938.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

From the Hetzner server if you run the following in an elevated PowerShell session does it work?

Test-NetConnection -ComputerName ‘VBRServer’ -Port 10005

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Are you able to resolve the name to an IP (DNS)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

From the Hetzner server if you run the following in an elevated PowerShell session does it work?

Test-NetConnection -ComputerName ‘VBRServer’ -Port 10005

Hi @MarkBoothman,

No, I’m not able to do it because it’s not exposed from external.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I guess I would need than to give VBR an public IP address and expose needed ports.
Then I create NAT rules and configure the access only from our Hetzner Server.

Than I can try it

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Follow up  for everybody trying to help:

• I exposed our VBR to the Hetzner Server, all ports are set to accept at the moment
  • From Hetzner Server to the VBR when I ping for the certain ports its accessible
  • VBR uses Public IP when communicating with Hetzner Server and back

I still have the same issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @NemanjaJanicic 

How is the type for connectivity between VBR and Hetzner server? is it VPN? It should be VPN connection

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @NemanjaJanicic 

How is the type for connectivity between VBR and Hetzner server? is it VPN? It should be VPN connection

They are communicating with Public IP addresses, no VPN included.

Does it need’s a VPN so that it can talk to the private ip address of VBR or

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @NemanjaJanicic 

Please check the network requirements below:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/system_requirements_network.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @NemanjaJanicic 

They are communicating with Public IP addresses, no VPN included.

Does it need’s a VPN so that it can talk to the private ip address of VBR or

I think it either needs VPN or NAT’d from the Public IP to be able to see VBR..yes. 

Comment