Question

how to backup copy job call backup job

Userlevel 2

When I Backup Job compleate Then Backup Copy Job Is next run .

Can Setting Backup Job Copy Run Completed is Call  Backup Job is Run

remark : 

because i can’t setting Backup Job Schedule Time because I don’t know Backup Job Copy Long time to backup . 

best regards

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, what is the goal you’re trying to achieve? A continuous backup once the backup copy job has completed?

Userlevel 2

Hi, what is the goal you’re trying to achieve? A continuous backup once the backup copy job has completed?

i can’t know backup copy job take time . i not setting schedule task on backup job

now when backup job copy compleated , i manual start backup job.

i need backup job start automatic

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I am not sure it is a good idea, because I guess you are using immediate backup copy job which is run after the backup job finish. You want start the backup job after the backup copy job finished, why do you want do that? You can schedule the backup job to start after a specific job finishes:

I suggest that you can schedule the backup job to run every 6 hours for example (monitor how long your backup window it takes), if you need a little RPO. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This isn’t something you should need, immediate backup copy mode will copy backups the moment they are created https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_copy_name.html?ver=120

Only complication I can see is if you’re getting backup file locks preventing reading your backups for a copy, such as backup chain transformations.

I would just schedule the backup job frequency you need and let immediate backup copy handle the shifting of data off-site

Userlevel 2

I am not sure it is a good idea, because I guess you are using immediate backup copy job which is run after the backup job finish. You want start the backup job after the backup copy job finished, why do you want do that? You can schedule the backup job to start after a specific job finishes:

I suggest that you can schedule the backup job to run every 6 hours for example (monitor how long your backup window it takes), if you need a little RPO. 

On Backup Job After this Job Can not see Job From Backup Copy Job

Userlevel 2

i think When Backup Copy Job Complete 

I run script call Backup Job  , Is a good Idea??

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

i think When Backup Copy Job Complete 

I run script call Backup Job  , Is a good Idea??

You certainly could, but are you just doing this to get as many backups a day? Is your retention set by days or restore points? As triggering an excessive number of backups with a restore point-based retention will cause you to delete backups very quickly. If you had 7 retention points for example and you could backup every hour, you’d only have 7 hours of history to go back through, which would be no good if you got hit by ransomware as it would likely take more than 7 hours to fully infect everything

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I agree with Michael.  I’m not seeing a clear reason to have nearly continuous backup jobs - as in I’m ntotsure what goal you’re trying to achieve here.  But you’re going to have a lot of restore points and depending on how your retention is setup, that may or may not be problematic.  I too would just setup a backup job and schedule it for whatever frequency you require.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you want continuous backup then why not look at CDP instead?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I had considered this as well but there would need to be a host to send the replica to. And appropriate VMWare licensing as well. 

Userlevel 2

I agree with Michael.  I’m not seeing a clear reason to have nearly continuous backup jobs - as in I’m ntotsure what goal you’re trying to achieve here.  But you’re going to have a lot of restore points and depending on how your retention is setup, that may or may not be problematic.  I too would just setup a backup job and schedule it for whatever frequency you require.

thank you for you answer.

i have problem on backup copy job sometime is longtime (incremental), so when i set schedule on backup job is not compleate because backup copy job is not compleate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What type of backups are you making? Reverse, forward, or forever forward incremental? Is your backup copy job periodic or immediate?

Userlevel 2

What type of backups are you making? Reverse, forward, or forever forward incremental? Is your backup copy job periodic or immediate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Okay so you’re using forever forward incremental, and running the risk your backup copy job is getting put on hold when the next backup runs, I’d create synthetic fulls periodically to make it a forward incremental, this would create a weekly full backup, but if you’re using fast clone enabled storage then this is really quick and doesn’t consume any noticeable extra space VS a normal incremental point.

If you use forward incremental then you won’t get backup file locks and your backup copies can continue even when a new backup restore point is being created, therefore if your backup copy needs a little extra time your backup can carry on as normal

Comment