Question

How do you store AWS backups on-prem?

Userlevel 2

I just did a basic setup of AWS backups in Veeam Backup and Rep.  As far as I can see, it’s basically just creating snapshots in AWS, which is almost useless because that isn’t a real backup.

We want the AWS backups stored in our on-prem repository, just as our vSphere backups are.  How do we do get it store the backups in our on-prem repository rather than in AWS?

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi, your first backup needs to be within AWS, as that’s where you’re most likely to need to restore and therefore it’s more cost effective. You can do snapshots and backups there. Then you can do a backup copy job to copy those backups to another repository such as on-prem.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbaws/guide/backup_copy.html?ver=70

Userlevel 2

@MicoolPaul, so I did a complete AWS backup:

The AWS backup job in Veeam Backup and Replication

Then, I clicked on “Backup Copy” and then “Backup copy...”  When I got to the “Objects” page, it did not show my AWS backup objects as an option to copy.  Notice how “AWS - Critical VMs” is not an option:

The “Objects” area of a new backup copy job

Is this unexpected behavior?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Based on your AWS job completing you should see that as an option to select from.  Are you able to select from Repository in the objects section and see the AWS repo?  Just curious if that shows differently.

Comment