Solved

Help me to reconfigure my backup strategy

Userlevel 2

Hi there.

Need to review my backup configuration after adding a linux immutable box and a 10 TB vcc cloud space. 20 vms ( 15 windows server and 5 linux ). About 6 TB storage space (compressed). One backup a day at night. veeam server is a physical windows 2022 server box with local storage. Here is my idea:

First backup job on the veeam server itself. Backup copy on a scale out repository based on the local linux immutable storage and vcc cloud storage.

Any suggestion?

thanks in advance,

Max ( Italy)

icon

Best answer by HenriqueA 6 October 2023, 15:25

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan to have two copies local and one offsite to VCC.  Also having the Linux Immutable is a good idea.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @Massimiliano.Fontana ,

Good strategy, but be careful with the backup size x retention x %dedup.
Veeam has a calculator where you can check.
https://calculator.veeam.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d just make sure to utiliize fast clone storage technology → ReFS for Windows; XFS for Linux, where you’ll be keeping your backup data. I’d make sure to keep your Veeam Config DB data on a separate server than your VBR server in case,  for whatever reason, you lose the storage on your VBR server & can ‘t recover your config DB data to restore your server on a new one. Lastly..I recommend adding at least 1 VM as a Proxy to occasionally offload some of the backup/copy processing from the VBR server to another (VM) server. Otherwise, not much else to add.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Massimiliano.Fontana -

I’m just following up on your backup strategy post. Did any of the comments provided help you with your strategy? If so, we ask you select which one best helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question may benefit.

If you do have further questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Comment