Skip to main content

Hello guys,

I need your help to find the best way to configure longterm retention for a NAS backup.

Job selection different folders (Around 10TB of datas)
Target Repository : ReFS
Current retention keep all version for the last : 30 days 
No Archive 
Secondary Repository : Dell DataDomain, same retention as source

My customer want a bigger retention like 6 months ​​or more.

I looking the best way to do this with the less impact on the repository space. Unfortunately we can’t create GFS point for NAS Backup

Solution 1 : Set the primary retention to 6 month or more, impact I will have an increment every day for the time period

Solution 2: Create a second job with the same selection but schedule it once a month, impact I ll have two full backups and I have no idea if it could work porperly.

I take every idea 😁

I forgot ! We currently export this backup to tape once a week too, so we could keep certain tapes as a monthly but the process to restore take a lot of time, tape management … you know

Do you need the 6 months on the primary repo? The reason for asking is you could do the long term retention on the DataDomain using GFS on that?

You could try to bring the customer to Wasabi...would be a different approach since this is cloud-based and not on-premise but the customer will have the best flexibility when it comes to storage space consumption (due to pay-per-use).

Do you need the 6 months on the primary repo? The reason for asking is you could do the long term retention on the DataDomain using GFS on that?

If possible yes, do you think about Archive Repository ?

I was thinking more if space is restricted on the primary repo, leave that at 30 days. and use that job as a source for a backup copy to the data domain and configure GFS on that to give you the long term retention. I’d look at something like 28D, 4W, 6M. 

On the Primary repo you have ReFS, so you could try enabling synth fulls on a small folder as this should be much smaller due to all the duplicate blocks.

Mark, unfortunately backup copy for Nas Backup doesn’t exist you could just create a secondary target.

Hi Philippe, are you sure you cannot use copy job for file share backup?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/about_backup_copy.html?ver=120 

Hmmm I ll check again but if I remember well when you create a backup copy from Unstructured Data Backup you are redirect here :
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_backup_job_secondary_target.html

I’ve never used it but yes, it’s like an “integrated” backup copy..so just edit your existing job and specify a custom retention on the secondary target, I think you can do it!

Comment